Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CEM vs. BEAP Certification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrippL

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2011
US
I'm beginning to look into obtaining an energy certification and was wondering the differences, advantages, disadvantages, degree of difficulty, etc for the CEM vs. BEAP certification. Any insights would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I feel the main difference is that CEM is more geared towards industrial environments and focuses on process energy efficiency, energy management systems, M&V (although CMVP is more specifically suited to M&V), etc., whereas BEAP is more for commercial and residential environments and focuses on building envelope, HVAC, etc. So, to me, the break is pretty clear. If you work with industrial plants on reducing their energy consumption/electrical bills, CEM is preferable. If you work on building envelope and HVAC for commercial/residential buildings, BEAP is preferable.

Like many certifications, the benefit varies. Some places will require the certification. Other situations will blindly favour those with the certification (in terms of salary, winning bids, etc.). If you're in the niche areas, they can be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back