Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cenrtifugal pump volute and impeller 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

npsingh

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2001
IN
I am searching for a book/software/literature for centrifugal pump impeller and volute casing design.
Please help me.

Thanks. N P Singh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stepanoff,A.J. (1957),Centrifugal and Axial Flow Pumps,2nd Edition
Lobanoff,V.S. & Ross,R.R. (1985), Centrifugal Pumps - Design and Application, Gulf Publ.
Church,A.H.(1944), Centrifugal Pumps and Blowers, John Wiley & Sons
Pfleiderer,C. (1961)Kreiselpumpen etc (in German)Springer-Verlag

There are also some short articles or papers that have been published which provide at least a starting point into centrifugal pump design and sometimes much more. Some of them give concise summaries of Stepanoff's method or use his and/or Pfleiderers constants along with other methods. Here they are:
1. Makay,E. (1971), Design of Fluid Movers - Centrifugal Pump Expertise for the Nonexpert (This is a part of Franklin Institute Report No. C2929-01, 3/71, Design Evaluation Guide - Primary Coolant Pumps for Water Cooled Reactors)
2. Ming,Z. (1989), Application and Experimental Investigation of Two-Dimensional Flow Theory in the Design of a Submerged Pump, ASME/FED-Vol.81 (H00462), Pumping Machinery-1989,pp.167-172 (This is a step-by step analysis of a mixed flow impeller that includes a blade countouring procedure)
3. Salisbury,A.G.(1983), Current Concepts in Centrifugal Pump Hydraulic Design, Proc. IME, Vol.197A, pp.221-231 (This is a review of several methods including Stepanoff's specific speed approach and Anderson's area ratio method. It's got 6 appendices loaded with formulae)
4.Myles,D.J.(1969-70), An Analysis of Impeller and Volute Losses in Centrifugal Fans, Proc. IME, Vol. 184, Pt.1, No.14, pp.253-277 (While the title says fans nearly all of the contents apply to pumps. The discussions and author's reply adds 8 more pages of valuable information to the overall paper.)
For other valuable paper contributions to centrifugal pump technology look up the following names: H.H.Anderson, S. Yedidiah, A.Kovats, D.Florjancic, J.F.Peck and R.C.Worster.

Three books that are reasonable:

1. The Interaction between Geometry and Performance of a Centrifugal Pump, by B. Neumann MEP Limited, ISBN 0-85298-755-2

2. Centrifugal Pumps Design and Application, Lobanoff and Ross, ISBN 0-87201-190-9

3. Centrifugal Pup Design, John Tuzson, ISBN 0-471-36100-3 Edward M. Bennett
Manager of Turbomachinery Design, Impact Technologies, LLC.
ed.bennett@impact-tek.com

Though mine are more specific, I have much the same questions you do. You may want to try posting at
"Computational Fluid Dynamics - Online" i.e. ( http://
). This is a more erudite usenet than
this one ( not given to snide banter ). See also thread
"npsingh(mechanical)" Jul 25, 2002, in this forum for more
references. I 've seen "Centrifugal Pumps: Design and Application" by V.S. Lebanoff and R.R. Ross, and it is
worthwhile.
Though heavily theoretical and rather dated by now, a
30 page paper detailing the overall concept is available freely online in PDF format at ( http;//naca.larc.nasa.gov
/reports/1939/naca-tm-902.pdf ).
Finally if you happen to know the publication, title,
or author of a particular paper, look for it in the search
engine of ( http;//searchpdf.adobe.com ). An invaluable resource of Adobe the licensor of PDF ( Portable Document
Format ) used mostly for scholarly papers. This is the central index of all PDF files on the net - about a million or so.

a white paper at
( )
describes "BladeCAD" impeller design software. This and the newer "Blademaker" is available from ( ).
Also go to ( ) and enter "BladeCAD" in
this searchengine for more references.

Go to ( ) enter the following
citations in the searchengine, the top result is the paper.
naca-tn-1313, naca-tn-2421, naca-tn-2604, naca-tn-2654, and
naca-tn-2806.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back