Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Center of Gravity Height Question.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxVQ

Automotive
Jul 15, 2003
CA
Is 22" reasonable estimate for a center of gravity height on a 4 door sedan (like a 1995 Nissan Maxima)

I understand if I jack up my car a few feet, I can calculate my actual cgh, but I don't have wheel scales, or a jack that can lift that high?

I thought I read in the Bosch Handbook that you can take 1/3 of the vehicle height as a close estimation.
(in my example 55.7" * .333 = 18.54")

Any realword examples someone can share?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a tube frame race car, the camshaft height of a pushrod engine is commonly used, but that's a very rough estimate. If you differentiate the equations used in the "jacking" method, you'll find that a very, very small measurement error will result in a significant CG height error.

For a tube frame race car, I prefer to use the "tabulation" method, where heights, weights, and height-weight products are tabulated for as many components and structural pieces as possible. If this is carried far enough, the height of the remaining weight becomes inconsequential (i.e., you can use a very rough estimate for its height) and the calculated CG height will be sufficiently accurate. Unfortunately, for a passenger car, it's much more difficult to identify significant structural components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back