Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CENTERLINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaCAD

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2005
US
Is the centerline symbol located in SE somewhere? I can seem to find it.

Adam
Solid Edge V17
Windows XP Pro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you are talking Draft.

You can place center lines (or centre lines) using the button on the drawing view tool bar. It may be a fly out (or is it a flydown) under something like center mark.

You actually have two options these days, automatic center lines or good old manual.

your correct, i'm looking in draft. BUT its the CL symbol i'm looking for (CL - touching & staggered)

I can see in my question how you may think I was looking for the centerline icon, oops. :)

Adam
Solid Edge V17
Windows XP Pro

I thought this was no longer used. I only recall seeing it on very old drawings.

I asked my checker and we aren't aware of a spec that says not to use it though.

Y14.38 just says centerline = CL

You could superimpose 2 callouts or 2 text boxes one for each letter, this is how I think I did it the one time I had to on SE.

thanks for the reference. I'll use the standard then.

Adam
Solid Edge V17
Windows XP Pro

ParaCAD, just to emphasize, I’m not aware of a standard that explicitly says not to use it, I just recall being told not to and have mainly seen it on old drawings. If you post this over on GD&T someone may know though.

14.38 is a list of standard abbreviations, not symbols.

Sorry I can’t give a more definitive answer.

We still use the CL mark in my work. I took the letter C and the letter L and set them how they should look and grouped them.

Once I was able to use the letter "q" with the style GDT in older version of solid edge but now I can't seem to find it, except that I fell onto the style IGES 1001 and still with the letter "q" it chose a nice center line symbol.

Patrick
SE V18

Sorry I made an error it's supposed to be "shows" instead.

my bad

You could always save the characters as a symbol and store it with other standard notes etc, then drag that onto your drawing sheet.

bc

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I ended up just using CL. That’s easy enough. And apparently there is no company standard available. So I can do what I like.

Adam
Solid Edge V17
Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back