Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centravac Chiller limited on high current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centravac

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2003
US
one of the trane centrifugal chiller capacity is limited on high current (99%). condenser pressure is at 8.5 psig. Entering water temperature (condenser side) is 77 deg F. Also, inlet guide vanes are open 85 %. I suspect that there is oil in the evaporator tubes. Sight glass is to the top (cant see the upper level) but the evaporator refrigirant temp is 38.7 deg F which seems normal. Based on the privious years trends, I expect the load to be about 90 %.
Other running chiller with the same load is running at 90 % which is expected. Also, inlet guide vanes are open 67 %.
Any suggestions????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your entering/leaving cond water temp and liquid line temp out of the condensor? What is your cond pressure? Can't answer your question without more info.

Refrigirant is R-11.
Here are the specs.
PARAMETERS
Evaporator Entering Water Temp-55.7 deg F
Evaporator Leaving Water Temp-45.9 deg F
Condenser Entering Water Temp-78.3 deg F
Condenser Leaving Water Temp-87.9 deg F
Saturated Evap Temp-37.9 deg F
Evap RFGT pressure- -7.8 psig
Saturated Con Temp-95.3 deg F
Cond Rfgt pressure-7.0 deg F
Inlet Guide Vane position %-84
Inlet Guide Vane position deg-75.6
Compressor phase current A-96.8 % (317 amps)
Compressor phase current B-100.5 % (329 amps)
Compressor phase current C-99.8 % (325 amps)

The condenser and evaporator approaches are good fot this system about 7*F I would remove some refrigerant from the unit until you can see at top of sight glass and check the oil content. you may haveto reclaim if you have too much oil in refrigerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back