Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centrifugal Compressors w/ Evap. Condensers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gem24

Military
Jul 14, 2003
US
Are there any potential problems with using centrifugal compressors with evaporative condensers? (800 tons)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The question begs a "how would you do this or I know it can be done but what are the consequencies"? My question is " have you heard of this being done and who makes these cond for centrifugal application"

No problems as such. An evaporative condenser is hybridized model of cooling tower and a condenser and technically there is no difference. You have to have a correct sizing.

Regards,

Quark Are you saying you have done this and or know it's been done; if so, please let me know of more details if able or a web site Much Appreciated.

As quark says, it's all down to the sizing.

These are big pieces of equipment, and if your not familiar with selecting this type & size of equipment a mistake would be very expensive.

It's not as simple as matching a small split DX system, so proceed with caution.

Cooky

Yes, I understand sizing is of importance. I was worried about possible surging due to lower head pressure. Is this a valid concern?

Hi gem24,

Yes, surging could be a problem. Are you planning to construct a centrifugal chiller from scratch, or is the evaporative condenser a modification to an existing chiller?

Currently the centrifugal chiller is using a water cooled condenser. I am investigating the advantage of using an evap. condenser (cooling tower) to increase efficiency but was concerned about possible problems with lower head pressure.
Thanks for your help!

You will have to talk to mfg because of the possibility of pressure drop on the lift which is rather small compaired to Pos Disp comp, thats why I questioned weather it was being done.

Actually I never did it so far nor seen it for centrifugals. Imok2 raised a valid point about lift and I think this can be overcome by placing compressor at a heigher elevation(just out of theory).

Surge problems can be taken care by a liquid receiver.

Wish all the lift problems could be solved by placing the compressor at a higher elevation !!!

I agree with imok2 - you need to talk to the manufacturer to ensure that surging doesn't happen at low loads.

HVAC68

Thank you all for your help with this. The manufacturer suggested not to use a cooling tower but my boss and I couldn't find a reason why.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back