Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centrifugal Gas Compress Volute/Casing Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopper1732

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2005
US
For centrifugal compressor, say that Inlet is 150 degF at 20psig and Outlet is 500 degF at 40 psig, I would expect that the Volute temperature would be at least equal to the outlet temperature of the gas.
Probably higher due to efficiency / frictional etc. losses.
Excluding other losses in the motor/drive train/other mechanical elements, is there data that predicts the increased temperature of the volute as a percentage function of the work of compression of the gas for the family of centrifugal compressors?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

um,

the compressible fluid is not stated . . . assuming 14.7 for atmospheric pressure, the compression ratio is 1.576 and a temp increase of 350°F . . . possible bad data or otherwise . . .

i recommend contacting the compressor mfg and consult with them. additionally, i fail to understand the purpose of your question.

wait a minute, is this a hofim compressor from DR or a hermetically sealed compressor/motor/drive train unit whereby the compressible fluid is removing heat of compression + frictional losses + misc energy losses? that may explain the higher than normal outlet temps.

again, suggest consulting with mfg or perhaps provide further detail as to the situation being experienced.

good luck!
-pmover

The volute total temperature and discharge total temperature should be very nearly the same. Remember that you are measuring stagnation temperature and npot total temperature, so a velocity correction is required. The diffuser and volute slow down the gas so gas velocity in the discharge may be less than where you are measuring. I would only suspect htis to be a fw degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back