Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

centrifugal vs injection vs blow molds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4kert

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2002
US
I have a product that is to be molded. Basically a long hollow tubular shape with details on either end. Total material volume per shot is less than 25 cubic inches. Which would be better price/product wise; a two piece family mold (which entails a sonic welder for assembly), a blow mold (which would mean the product needs to be machined on each end) or a centrifugal mold. I'm trying to figure out if my product would be worth producing given the mold and production costs. The product itself is a fairly simple device, in use and in design. I know that the question is fairly open ended. What I'm looking for is a general answer. thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your choice of material is a major factor when choosing the fabrication process. What material are you thinking of?

Regards,

Peter P

The type of material that I was thinking of is polypropelene. The plastic needs to be flexible, but yet tough. My prototype is made out of acrylic tube. The wall thickness is .1 inch. Surprisingly the prototype has lasted 3+ years of use. But acrylic is brittle when hit just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back