Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ceramic Material Test Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzandy

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2008
CN
I just got a requirement from my end-user about providing the ceramic test report in terms of
1.Thermal Shock Resistance (50F~500F)
2.Compressive Strength
3.Fracture Toughness
4.Impact Toughness
5.Flexural Strength
Now i am facing the issue about the Thermal shock resistance test method. Is there anybody can provide any suitable method to test this term? Meanwhile, normally what's the measure to do the test?
Looking forward to hearing from your guys feedback. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recall that Coors used to water quench test bars and then measure the flexure strength. They listed the temperature that resulted in a specific reduction in flexure strength. I don't recall the amount of reduction that they were looking for.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Did you try ASM? Maybe SCTE (Society of Carbide Tool Engineers) I think I got that last part right. close anyway.

Also maybe CCPA (Cemented Carbide Producers Association).

If you can’t find them, contact me privately and I will give you a couple names to contact.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

ASTM C1525 gives thermal shock resistance via the water quench test. It looks for a reduction of at least 30% in flexural strength. Be prepared to make a lot of MOR bars for this test.

To: AEH3, your information is so important to me, it's really helpful. thank you so much! Thanks all you guys for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back