certification is needed to sell a product

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncasaleiro

Electrical
Jan 3, 2011
PT
Hi
Certification is needed to sell a product in US market?
I know it's better but it´s legal sell a product without certification?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Article 500.8(A)1 of the NEC gives manufacturers several choices to determine suitability of haz loc equipment, as follows:

1. Equipment listing or labeling (by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory- NRTL), or
2. Evidence of equipment evaluation from a qualified testing laboratory or inspection agency concerned with product evaluation, or
3. Evidence acceptable to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) such as a manufacturer’s self-evaluation or an owner’s engineering judgment.

If i correctly understand the NEC said self evaluation, don't be necessary certification to sell a product in US market (in that case and of course it´s better certificate products), I am correct?

ncaseleiro,

You'll not get any inspector to accept self-evaluation for a hazardous location product, not even from General Electric. You didn't mention that your product is going into a hazardous location! Certification will be critical.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Hi
I understand that. I speak if US law said don´t be possible do that. I have done initiate certification process. I ask for cost for UL, FM. I have products with ATEX and IECEx certification. I think the certification process will be easier but cost it's always a lot.
Another think, if i have prototype i can test it on a client in US?

Thanks

As with all things electrical, it's not illegal to sell them here in the US, but it may be illegal to install them and wire them up if not listed -- It will be up to your client if they want to test a prototype.

Good luck with it!

Goober Dave

We have some customers that have no problem testing a prototype without approval and others that won't touch it till it has safety approvals and others that just have us fill out a waiver stating that if a problem does arise during testing that we are liable for any damages.

Also you really haven't stated exactly what this product is..

If it's a component in a system you might not need approval at all as the necessary testing can be done by the end users in his final product. We use "electrical products" in the construction of our products that hold no approvals at all.. However we are required to do any necessary testing in our end product to ensure/satisfy the UL safety engineers that the component doesn't cause an issue as it is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back