Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFD and computing time/requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetAceX

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2011
US
Hi everyone,
it's my first post here and hopefully I'm not going to ruin it I tried searching for this topic but couldn't find anything similar.
I'm currently a junior in Aerospace Engineering and I guess my questions is what type of specs for a computer(preferably laptop) do you suggest to run CFD simulations efficiently. I have an HP pavilion dv2000 with an Intel Core duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz and 3GB of RAM.
I'm using Solidworks Flow Simulation 2009 and a typical project takes about 15 min to solve, and a batch solve of about 20 projects gave me an estimated time of 109 hrs and I definitely want something relatively faster.
Thank you for your time !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something with as much power as you can get.

I used to run some complex FE simulations on my MacBook Pro with no problems.
But if the simulation takes hours I would suggest using a PC instead of a laptop due to heat transfer limits.

[peace]
Fe

Yeah I don't think I can afford a 12-core mac for $5000, it looks nice but I don't think SolidWorks runs on mac. Thanks for the help, I'm googling porting into GPU do you recomment a specific site you know of ?
Thanks again !

You can probably start with:
I couldn't immediately find whether there were any commercial CFD packages that ran on GPUs, but doing a websearch should find you lots of possibilities, particularly if you're able to code up the problem yourself.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

I'd ask the question over in the Solid Works forum.

I'd look at maximizing ram (though you're stuck with 4GB sort of on 32 bit), processor speed (unless it can handle multi core - which it may - you might be better off with fewer cores but higher speed per core) and if it's like many FEA programs a nice quick hard drive - maybe even solid state.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back