Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFD software comparison and Cloud CFD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupole1185

Aerospace
Feb 16, 2016
IT
Anyone of you could suggest a good (and possibly cheap) CFD software? I found many ... I also found some cloud based solutions I would like to know whether anyone used them and has an opinion ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Google seems to be best way to do this kind of research. Somehow CFD people aren't hanging around on this website. They're probably busy. I just tried to ease the frustration you're gonna go through before getting a solid answer on this.

Spaceship!!
Aerospace Engineer, M.Sc. / Aircraft Stress Engineer

I'm not a CFD person yet, but I'm planning to be one in the near future. Looks like Stallion 3D can model sub/super/hypersonic CFD at a good level, and is only 5000$/year. They also have a 1900$/month subscription. NASA seems to have used this for one of their projects. Check their website. I bet it would be Nastran compatible. Assuming you are not aiming for multiphysics solutions, this could help you with a good understanding. But again, if you are not using it at work, how are you supposed to pay 5000$ every year while only trying to learn it. Hope they come up with a learner's subscription plan where it is not used commercially yet.

Spaceship!!
Aerospace Engineer, M.Sc. / Aircraft Stress Engineer

Five or more years ago, I used an older version of Scientific Linux, which included Open Foam. I ran the examples provided, and noodled around with some objects of my own, and it seemed to work okay, though some of the documentation was in French and/or hard to follow even in English.

Then I made the mistake of installing it to a hard drive partition for speed, which did help, and I started an update of the underlying Ubuntu (more recently Red Hat). Bad idea; I was very shortly in conflicting library and inadequate hardware hell.

Run a live DVD version and stick with it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back