CGAP elements to restrain movement in -Z 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecFem

May 19, 2023
FR
Hello,

I hope you are well.

In the model I'm working with, I have to simulate a plate that rests over some rollers. Then, I want to simulate the rollers as constraints that only block the displacement in one sense for a given direction, i.e., for -Z the movement is constrained, but for +Z the plate is free to move (as a pencil over a table that you can lift but it is supported by the table, that is, prevented in the gravity direction).

I read about it and the best way (or one way) to do it is through CGAP elements. I've taken the example from Blas Molero's video ( at 14:50).

Before doing it in my model, I started with a simpler model. A square plate, fixed at its borders and with two load cases applied, one with an upwards pressure and one with a downward pressure. Then I splited the surface to have smaller surfaces in the center where I could use the "Compression Only Gaps" API provided by FEMAP. My idea was to verify that the load case with the upward pressure deforms as it will usually do, and that the one with the downward pressure will have its displacement blocked in the center too given that the CGAP is preventing displacements in the downward direction.

The thing is that the CGAP is acting as an SPC, i.e., blocking deformation in both senses (cf. images below).

Sans_titre_kvm9hc.png

I have repeated the procedure manually, creating myself the CGAPs and I have the same issue. I also created a local coordinate for the CGAP.

I'll leave the Femap Neutral and .bfd file attached if it is better to understand the problem.

Do you have any idea why it isn't working?

Thank you in advance !

Cordially,
EC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it may be easier to model the roller and use a "non-penetrating" BC.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Dear EC,
You need to activate GAPS AS CONTACT in the NASTRAN BULK DATA, if not the CGAP elements will run as springs, this explain the behaviour you are suffering.
In Simcenter Nastran only, enabling this option allows gap elements to be treated as linear contact elements during a Linear Static analysis (SOL 101).

GAPS-AS-CONTACT_zvzydz.png

Actually, with modern versions (like FEMAP V2301) when set to 0..Default, this option creates BCSET=108 in the case control section of the Simcenter Nastran file, causing Simcenter Nastran to treat gaps as linear contact elements using default values. Select a Connection Property from the drop-down to use other values for contact. Using a connection property is critical to increase the number of contact iterations (the default is limited to 20):

GAPS-AS-CONTACT-modern-versions_bghjrz.png

To learn more about how to use 1-D CGAP compression-only elements please visit my blog in the following address:

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back