Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chain Drive Calculation for Belt Conveyors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vish S

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2024
US
I'm trying to design chain & sprockets for a chain drive powering a belt conveyor.
Things known to me:

Drive Pulley Dia– 36"
Motor – 150 HP 1780 RPM
Gearbox – M1170DH2-A-11.090:1 Ratio Falk
Backstop - TA30 Morse
Snubber Pulley Dia - 18"
Conveyor Rise – 16 Degrees
Conveyor Length – 350 Ft.
Conveyor Speed – 437 FPM

Is this enough information for me to make chain & sprocket selection?

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide me

Vish

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please post a picture of the drive arrangement on the conveyor. It may be possible to change this to a directly coupled output shaft with a chain (or preferrably belt) drive on the input shaft to accomplish the same amount of reduction. The input shaft drive chain (or belt) will be much smaller than the output shaft drive chain (or belt).

dvd here's the picture

Picture1_aofepp.jpg

I might have not mentioned this before - Motor is coupled with Gear Reducer which is connected to Head Pulley shaft by chain drive

Vish s said:
AN option to change to direct drive was given bu8t its expensive

What's the number?

What's the total of your current preventive maintenance + reactive maintenance + cost of failure downtime?

What's the current reliability? (i.e. how often does it breakdown?)

What's the anticipated reliability of a direct drive?

That gives you what you need to do a simple cost:benefit analysis.

That chain cover has a few gallons of oil in the bottom, right?

A chain a sprocket with continuous lubrication in a clean oil bath like that should last a long time.

Lubricated with a slurry of oil and stone dust, not so much.

[ul]
[li]I took a quick look at a Gates PolyChain belt option, and it doesn't appear that there are any options due to the long center distance.[/li]
[li]What is the center distance?[/li]
[li]Does the existing chain guard provide an oil bath?[/li]
[li]If not, how is chain being lubricated?[/li]
[li]How long did the previous chain drive last?[/li]
[li]Based on your picture, it looks like you would probably need to make a new drive base if you wanted to directly couple to the reducer.[/li]
[li]Depending on head shaft diameter and extension length, it may be possible to install a shaft-mounted reducer and motor[/li]
[li]Not sure what the existing reducer output torque capacity would be without further investigation in order to determine if it could be possible to slow down input speed to gear reducer. The gearbox does not look all that big, so I kind of doubt it could handle the output torque.[/li]
[li]Are you located in the US?[/li]
[li]This really would require a paid investigation and a lot more information to give you much assistance.[/li]
[/ul]
[li]It looks like your cheapest option is going to be to replace existing with like kind - a 200-2 chain and sprockets may be okay depending on what your existing sprocket teeth numbers are - Martin Sprocket has capacity and multi-sprocket multipliers in their literature[/li]

* edit - it does not appear that there is a shaft fan on the reducer - depending on ambient temperature and elevation, this reducer may not provide thermal power capacity. How hot does this unit run? What type of lube? Definitely another area to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back