Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

change over valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

edanyel

Petroleum
Sep 15, 2004
AR
Hi guys, where I work, I found a manual selector valve under a pair of PSVs, and it's not working properly.
The brand seems to be MEREX or something like that.
I'm attaching a picture.
I can't find information about it.
Does any of you have heard about this brand, any web page, some technical papers?
I need to know something about it's internal parts, and how it works without disassembling it.
Thanks in advance
Daniel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like a 3-way nonlubricated plug valve.
There's a tapered plug loaded into a (probably teflon) sleeved body. The triangular gland flange on top loads the plug into the taper so it will seal.

The plug has a cutout that bridged the common port and one of the side ports. Rotating the plug 90 degrees closes one outlet port and opens the other.

THe body has an ASA rating, which is an indication of being at least 40 years old. ASA was replaced by ANSI which is now ASME.

Similar to a Durco Sleeveline 3-way.
See here: Page 14

JimCasey:
You are right, is definitively a very old valve, but it is a lubricated one.
Actually what I was looking for were some details of the sealant (lubricating) compound for that valve and the correct lubricating procedure.
I've found the complete name, is Rockwell Merex, and it is from the early '70s.
So I'll keep looking for some general info about lubricated plug ones.

Any way if someone find something about it, just give us a call.Thank you very much.
Bye

edanyel,

Google "Rockwell Nordstrom Valves", look for a hit from Flowserve, and then look for product literature for "Nordstrom Valve" The company was once known as Rockwell-Merco.

The brochure has lubrication info, but you'll probably want to contact your local Flowserve rep for guidance.

donf

Nordstrom refers to the stuff as "Sealant" and there are many formulations based upon compatibility with the process fluid.

You can use that same Flowserve link I gave you previously, just put in "Nordstrom" for the heritage name instead of Durco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back