Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing alignment of views in solidworks drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerROD

Mechanical
May 23, 2008
CA
Hello,

I'm drawing a top view of a part, and then a side view branching off too the right. Then I want to take a section view of the "right view" so that the section is the same orientation as the "top view" of the part.

The problem is that it seems impossible to make that section view align with the top view of the part, it will only let me position it horizontally relative to the "right view."

Is there any way that I can switch the alignment somehow, so that the section view keeps it's orientation but aligns with the principal view instead of the "right view" where it was originally created?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create and place the section as per normal

RMB on the section view and select Alignment > Break Alignment

Move the section view approx to the position required

RMB on the section view and select the appropriate alignment tool.

[cheers]

Right click on the section view and goto alignment>break alignment. Then right click on the section view and goto alignment> align horizontal by origin and then select the principle view.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Alternately, during the view placement portion of section view creation you can hold down Ctrl to drop the view anywhere rather than automatically aligned with the parent view.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Handleman,
I was trying your tips. When I hold down ctrl, I can drop the view anywhere on the sheet. But later it aligns with other views. Is there anyway I can fix it in the place where I put it? I was using "Aligned section view" and it places the view either in horizontal position or vertical position. I want to place it diagonally so that it will represent both horizontal and vertical views.

Thanks,
Robi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back