Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing color only in current view

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGDAVE

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2004
US
In a demo from UG years ago they had a part on the screen and changed the colors of only the surfaces that where in view. What I am trying to say is that if you were viewing a part in the top view you changed the color of the surfaces that you can see only in that view and then you can rotate the part around and see any undercuts.

I know on a small part this is pretty simple just picking each surface, but on a part with thousands of surfaces I need something quicker.

Thanks,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are looking for undercuts (or faces without enough draft) you can use Analysis -> Face -> Slope...
Pick your pull direction and what you want to analyze (you can pick your entire solid with one pick) and the faces will be shaded according to how much angle they have in relation to your pull vector. (see the help files for more specifics) It is easy, fast and is part of the modeling package.

On a similar note, check out the Molded part validation analysis tool. It will colorize a part according to part splitting rules. It may do what you want... This is only available in the latest versions of NX2 and later.

-Derek
DL Engineering Services

specializing in CAD Design Consultation Services

UGDAVE,

I don't personally use this function, but from reading the NX 1 documentation, you CAN temporarily display models or faces with different colors. Below is copy/paste directly from the UGNX Documentation:

Random Color Display

The Random Color Display feature provides a temporary display of unique colors per solid object. You can apply random colors to both faces and bodies. This feature can help you to determine if there is surface break-up of a model. It allows you to see flaws from surface to surface and helps you to see if faces are crossing in your model.

When you exit the dialog, the colors are not saved. The color shuffling is temporary and for display only.

This feature is especially good with black reflection lines. When using one of the color options (i.e. when not using the black reflection line option) the effect is not always easy to see unless you try various reflectivity options.

The random color display remains in any shaded display mode. You can also save and retrieve parts with random color display turned on.

Using Random Color Display

To turn on random color display:

1.) Select Preferences->Visualization.
2.) Select the Color Settings page.
3.) Select the Random Color checkbox.
4.) Select the object type you want - Faces or Bodies.
5.) Click on Apply.

If the system does not display the set of random colors that you want, click on Shuffle until it does. Unigraphics NX changes every color using all 216 colors.

Tip: You can also use this feature from the Visualization Toolbar.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back