changing drawing link to model

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecadman3

Aerospace
Apr 11, 2010
GB
Hi,

I have been asked to create a number of drawings all very similar to each other.

I have created my first drawing linked to the 3D model.

I would like to be able to create several variations of the model each varying slightly in size but...then be able to create copys of the original drawing updated to the new models. Is solidworks able to do this? I shouldnt have to redraw everytime.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you want separate model files or are you going to configure the original model?

If using multiple model files, do this:

1. Create model 1 and drawing 1.
2. From Drawing, SaveAs to drawing 2... before clicking save, click on references. A new window will pop up allowing you to assign model 2 to the model that drawing 2 is looking at. Click save.
3. drawing 2 will be active and will be looking at model 2. Drawing and model 1 will be unaffected. Go ahead and make your changes... rinse and repeat.

Another option is to use Pack&Go... which is functionally very similar... I just happen to prefer the method stated above... it has been around since the early days.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

I reuse a lot of asms, parts, and drawings.

I make a copy of the drawing in Windows Explorer and rename it. In Solidworks, go to file open, and select the renamed copy you want to link to a new part. Click the reference button at the bottom of the file open dialog. Double click on the reference that is shown to the old part, and point it to the new part.

raneu's method will work well if you have already created your multiple parts. The only thing to point out for these methods to be successful is that your models need to be based off of the same original model (eiter by saveas or copy). If you create a new model from scratch and then replace functionality with an existing drawing, all of the dimensions will become disassociated.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

It's good practice to never use Win Exp to rename files, always use SW Exp.
You can use SW Explorer to make copies.

Or, open the model and its drawing.
Go to the model, save as to new name, then go to drawing and save as new name. Do this in this order as many times as you have variations of the model. But, they will be separate models with their own associated drawings.

Or, create configurations of the one model. "Save as" the drawings for each configuration, then change the model in each drawings to link to correct configurations.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

As a side note, I do use SW Explorer a lot too, but as long as you know what you are doing, it isn't always necessary to use it. You can "steal" a drawing and reuse it on similar parts, and get all the views, etc from the origional, but you will have to reattach dimensions, or replace them, but its just another method to save some time rather than starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back