Changing Industries, Mech -> Env

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH95

Civil/Environmental
Jun 17, 2020
US
Hello all,

I'm a fairly young engineer about 3 years out of college where I got my B.S. in Environmental Engineering (in my school this was in the mechanical department) and have been working in HVAC design since with a brief stint in solar right as I graduated before I was laid off a few months later. However, I want to get back to environmental engineering, where I can apply my skills to something I care more about and have a greater interest in. I'm finding it to be a little awkward determining what I should be applying for. I have 3 years of experience, but in a different industry. HVAC is primarily fluid dynamics and heat transfer and I know at least some of that would transfer to environmental, particularly water resources and water treatment in my opinion, but I'm not sure the best way to characterize that either on a resume or to a recruiter (several of which do not have the technical background to understand the specific subjects.) I'm worried about pigeonholing myself into HVAC and being stuck in a career that I really don't care about and am looking for any advice to use my experience to get into something I want to do. Or maybe I should just be looking at entry-level for the different industry?

I also am trying to find ways to better utilize my time to help in the job search. I've started trying to be more active on LinkedIn and reaching out to people, any other suggestions on ways I can make a couple hours here and there turn into something productive from a professional standpoint?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without getting into the specifics too far -- don't be too worried about it. Sell yourself as having a background/education in Env. Eng and 3 years experience in the professional world. Sure, it's not quite the same as 3 years with an Env. Eng. company, but a lot of the skills engineers pick up in those first few years are more professional than technical.

----
just call me Lo.

You should be looking for entry level positions but highlight what were your project responsibilities. From your description your technical expertise in the new field will be similar to a recent graduate. The one thing you should spend effort on is researching the work done in the new field and clearly communicating what you like about it in contrast to your current field.

Potential employers should see you as someone who has workplace design experience but not in the field you want to move into. You have also gone through the effort to identify what you want to be doing and will likely stick around in it once you find the right fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back