Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Interpart References

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
I can't submit a part file, but I have attached an example picture of my scenario. I have a sketch where one wall of my object is defined as a horizontal offset from some reference line (shown as P1). I have used that dimension as an interpart reference in several other parts. My problem has now changed where the right wall of my object needs to modify to some other value; however, I still need to reference the original value as well. So my desired scenario now has two reference dimensions: P1 to the outer wall and P2 to the original reference dimension. All of the other parts currently reference P1, so I need to make some instances (but not all) use P2.

What is the best method to implement this change? I hope there is a better way than looking through each part and searching for where P1 is referenced. It is time-consuming and also makes me more likely to miss an instance of the reference somewhere. Is there at least a way to get a list of all instances where P1 is referenced? I can then go through and change the appropriate references to P2 in the other parts. I thought about deleting P1 and then recreating the same dimension under a new name (so now P3 = 10). However when I exit the sketch, it just changes all references to P1 as constants without telling me where the expression is located. If I'm lucky there is a more elegant mechanism to modify instances of a reference from the original definition. Any advice is much appreciated. Unfortunately I am still stuck using NX 6.0

Thanks in advance

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7180224a-fcb7-4ba6-bbd4-855516294719&file=ReferenceDimensions.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if it is possible in NX6 but in later versions you can use the expression browser to get a list of references:
- load all parts that could reference the expression + the parent part of the expression in the current nx session.
- switch to the parent part and open the expression browser
- right click your 'P1' expression and select 'List References' -> The information window will display all refs to the expression including interpart refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back