Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Part Number/Move files

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamEng

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2005
US
I currently have an assembly of approx 1000 parts, which consist's of many sub assemblies. I want to be able to change the part numbers and move the parts to a different directory structure with out loosing or having to recreate my assemblies. Is this possible in Solid Edge Ver16. I am able to do it in SolidWorks but havent found an effiecient way of doing it in Solid Edge, can anyone help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use Revision Manager to "Rename" your documents, you can by the same manner put them in a different folder by typing it manually or if you right click (RMB) all the highlighted files you renamed, set a common path. Then use "Perform Action" button.

To change the file properties, you may want to use Property Manager. In the assembly, click Tools > Property Manager...

To move the files, use Revision Manager. You'll find Replace function (Ctrl + R) useful to eliminate repetitive typing.

Do you mean that the filename is actually the part number? Why don't you use document number in file properties instead?

Yes, still in Revision Manager, when you copy or rename the file(s), right click and choose "Increment name". The Revision field will be incremented as well as the file name, if it corresponds with your settings (Part1-R01.par will become Part1-R02.par)
Regards.

I use a sequential number for the filename & I also use the file properties as well. I find it easier to do it this way when you have 1000+ parts in an assembly. Thanks for the feedback....

I see...
In what way do you find the sequential number easier in the assembly?

If you change the filename, use 'Where Used' function to track and update other assemblies that share the same file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back