Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the default user of Solid Edge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynotion

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2013
NO
Hi everyone,

Sorry if there is an easy and obvious solution to this, I can't seem to find it however.

Is there an easy way to change the default user of Solid Edge that pops up in the startup screen? Other than doing a complete reinstall of Solid Edge on the computer.

The name I want to change is indicated by the red circle.
U7x8JsF.png

We have a former employee's name in one of our computers that we want to change, so we can use the universal drafting template.
I tried editing User Profile in Solid Edge Options from the starting screen, but this doesn't seem to effect it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "User Profile" in the Solid Edge Options does not control that. It is the value that is entered during installation of Solid Edge. The only way I know how to do that is through a registry hack.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 105\CurrentVersion

And change the OWNER.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

Thank you, Scott. This seemed fixed exactly what I asked for!

However, in our drafting template we've used the attribute "Last Author". And this metadata still seems to be the old name. Also when I go into file properties the metadata says that the file is currently opened by the old name.

Is there a way to change the metadata for the author?

No. That metadata is stored when you save the file. Resave the file and the Last Author should update.
I think the Last Author is taken from the Windows login credentials, not the Solid Edge installation name or User Profile from Solid Edge Options.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

I also think, it's connected to windows login credentials. But I tried changing the windows username, but it still recognizes the file to be opened by the old username. Even if 'Owner' property is changed in registry, Author of part is changed in file properties aswell as in the template and the windows logon name is changed.

Last author property is based on the Windows %username% environment variable when the Solid Edge file was last saved. Once saved this value is hard coded into the file.

Therefore to change this you must log into Windows with a different user id/user name, open the Solid Edge file, then save the Solid Edge file. Unless you save the file this Last author value will not be updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back