Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Transparency

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

Civil/Environmental
Feb 13, 2009
US
I have an assembly with about 30 parts and sub-assemblies, and when I try to make one of the parts transparent, it works, but if I click on anything else it automatically makes it a solid again. How do I make it continously transparent?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Odd. I right-click the part and select "Change Transparency" for this and it always sticks.

There are some System Options that control assembly transparency. Maybe check into this and make sure those settings aren't over-riding what you do within your assembly. (?)

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

Ive played around with every option and it still does the same thing. Anything else it might be?

No, Im not. I click on a certain part, go to Change Transparency, and click onto the screen, and it immediately goes back to a solid shape. However, the shape appears almost as a shaded part, not a shaded with edges part like all the other ones.

And I can assure you its not the graphics card or the driver.

Ctrl-Q doesnt do anything.

Im using SolidWorks Premium 2009.

Sorry, but Im not sure what SP or OS mean.

I dont think it has anything to do with my computer or any of the software I have. Because I can click on it, make it transparent, and it works fine, I can even rotate and zoom in and out. But as soon as I click on anything.. Literally anything, and it changes back.

cp3, No need to apologise!

SP= SW Service Pack number, OS = computer's Operating System (Widows/Vista/Mac, these have SP's too and can make a difference).

Have a look under your Programs listing, find the SolidWorks Program group, then the SW program itself, from this you should find "SolidWorks Tools" and in this run the "SolidWorks Rx" Program and hit the Diagnostics Tab, this will list your Graphics card at the top and there's a link to see tested cards.

Hope this helps.

My graphics card is:

GeForce 6600/PCI/SSE2

And the reason I said earlier that it wasnt my graphics card is because I figured that since I can see parts in transparent mode and rotate them around, that it wouldnt be a graphics issue. But maybe Im wrong.

I thought it would be a simple option that I clicked on accident. Because Ive had solidworks for several months, and Ive never had this problem before.

Actually, I know its not the graphics card because I opened up another assembly, changed a part to be transparent, and it works just fine.

To clarify, the GeForce 6600 isn't approved for v2009 of SolidWorks. Even for the less-intensive (and more reliable) v2007, it passes only with the following limits:

Limited number of accelerated windows. Amount of video memory determines the number. If 64M - 128M of memory, 3-12 accelerated full screen windows.

It disappears entirely from the list as of v2008.

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back