Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Channel beam for Suspended ceiling 1

Krishna7568

Civil/Environmental
Jun 12, 2024
TW
Hey Everyone,

I was having trouble trying to understand that why would some Engineers use Channel with suspended ceiling while some directly attach the hanging wire to slab. As shown in picture hanging wire are attached to channel section instead to floor. In some cases hanging wire are attached directly to floor with no use of channel section. Anyone with valid reason?
Channel_rq75r5.jpg

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Higher roof live loads might require the channels. Doubtful that they were placed there for a suspended ceilings benefit. Ceilings generally have to use an attachment system based on whatever is appropriate for whatever is available to attach to.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Thanks for the reply.
In one case, I have seen suspended ceiling designed for 50 kg/m2(DL) and 150 kg/m2(LL) with upper slab designed for 800kg/m2(DL) and 500kg/m2(LL). After this much safety, the engineer were still bend on having channel section attached to hanger wire. That's why I asked the question. But thanks overall.

Right. Loads come in all varieties. The important thing is to get the roof strong enough to hold the total load. I was never particularly worried about hpw a ceiling might be suspended below it. I guess I just trusted that the ceiling contractor had many tricks in his bag.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Back