Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Characteristics of good Creo model 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

V Thanki

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2020
IN
Hi everyone,

I have been recently transfered to 2d to 3d conversion team for a heat exchanger firm.

I just wanted to know about some key check Points that were to be kept in mind for these conversions.

Additionally guidance on generally good model would be appreciated a lot.

Creo version is 5.0 and I am a self learnt creo user so there is a major chance that I might don't know even basic fundamentals. Please share all thoughts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I didn't give any key points would you:

make the parts not using the 2d dimensions?
make the parts missing critical features?
make the parts with useless extra feature?

If you would not choose to do those things then it comes down to practice and personal experience, neither of which can be handed to you any more than were you to ask "How best to fly a commercial jet I just got a job to pilot?"

If it is important for the business, I'd suggest sub-contracting to a Creo expert. If this is just to teach everyone how to use Creo, then when there is some particular difficulty, ask a question about that. Asking for 500-2000 hours of tutorial experience to be in one quick response is not realistic.

Thanks 3DDave.

Got your point. Its a long road rather than a milestone. Now that I have realised that, could you show the way to start like a book or tutorial that's like the Bible of Creo 5.0.

Would appreciate a lot.

I don't know of a book. I started with Pro/Engineer (which was renamed Creo) even before it was released by using a wire-frame modeler. A lot of things about it bothered me, like putting values in to create features and then having to recreate those as dimensions making drawings. I had a list of about 100 things to change; when Pro/Engineer came out it did most of them; I had written my own user guide outline.

All I ever did after that was to read the PTC documentation and choose the tools that most closely aligned to the desired result.

Thanks

I would try the same.

Just a small question does creating a part in single quadrant (quadrant in sense of planes and axis like first quadrant, second quadrant etc) provides and benefits over a component drawn over multiple quadrant?

Not really, at least not as far as the software is concerned. Co-workers may have other ideas, and circular parts are usually intentionally made to be in all quadrants.

I actually think there are many tips and best practices that will help get users off to a good start. I've attached a file I downloaded about a decade ago. I just scanned it and I think most of it is still valid.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e0cc0654-cc2f-4934-8773-cd1ee23025b2&file=Rediscovering_Good_Modeling_Practices.doc
Thanks a lot.

I was looking for something like this file.

Also I do have doubt does creating a separate sketch and extruding it provides any better advantage rather than directly selecting extrude and drwaing sketch inside.

Some like separate sketches because they like all the little pieces exposed. I found they cluttered the view of the resulting features in the model tree and was easy to lose track of dependencies.

One theory is that being separate they could be referenced for multiple features. 40,000 features made and I never found a need to do that, but there must be someone who has their entire job completely dependent on it.

In short, many decisions are closer to deciding what kind of pet one wants; there's no absolute better or worse, just ones that fit the circumstance or preference better.

I have a very strong preference for having the sketch internal to the feature. There are a few exceptions like projecting text onto a surface but then I like to group the features for a cleaner model tree.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Thanks guys.

I really do appreciate taking time to revert on my childish queries.

Hope you guys would carry on helping me and others the same way.

V Thanki

The queries aren't childish.

I used groups to great effect but some of the childish co-workers were unhappy because there was an extra click to see what was in them and using the Search button was too much work over scrolling down a list of a thousand parts. Sigh. I don't miss those guys.

There are two options in fillet in sketcher circular and circular trim. Hade gone through net but didnt understand exact difference and how they affect model.

Kindly help

IMHO the mark of professional modeling quality is that a junior user who wants to modify a feature years after the model was created, can easily locate that feature within the tree and modify it. That is actually how I learned Creo - after an introductory course I spent a few years reworking others' models to create new part variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back