Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Charge air cooling- technical meaning of ambient air

Status
Not open for further replies.

tugbarge

Marine/Ocean
Oct 16, 2015
US
We have the following scenario. An engine is located inside an enclosed structure. A suction fan pulls air from outside the structure, through the radiator, across the engine, and then vented out.

The engine manufacture uses the term ambient air in discussion of charge air cooling. According to SAE J1995, is ambient air the air which is inside the structure surrounding the engine or does it refer to the air outside of the structure?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wouldn't it be a bit silly to reference the building outside temperature when you have no idea what is being done to that air? And why would the engine even care about an air temperature that's remotely located from the engine itself?

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

"5.5.1 All power and torque correction procedures for atmospheric air are based on the conditions of the
engine inlet air supply immediately prior to the entrance into the engine air induction system. This
may be ambient (atmospheric) air or a laboratory air plenum that maintains air supply conditions
within the range limits defined per 5.1. Air supply systems that provide tuning or pressure
charging in violation of the intent of this procedure are prohibited. "

There should be an equivalent definition within your standard.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

Hi
Ambient air is always the air that surrounds the equipment.
Having said that, for a ship/boat as the air is sucked from outside the enclosure of the engine, , the internal ambient air around the equipment is a function of
- Barometric pressure at the location of the vessel or boat,
- Ambient temperature of the outside atmosphere (depending on whether the enclosure is exposed to direct sun or otherwise) , there will be a change in temperature within the space
- Pressure drop across the air filter that separates the outside space from inside &
- Capacity of the blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back