Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Charging Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechdesign2k4

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2008
US
Please forgive my ignorance in the relm of electrical engineering as I am a mechanical designer. I would like help with a project that I am working on. The description is as follows. I have a flash bulb, that I would like to flash with 1100 joules of power. The charge bank consists of 3 capacitors 1200u, 500V, and 3 caps 1600u, 500v. I would like to charge these capacitors after flashing in under 10 seconds. Can anyone help me with this circuit?

Sincerely,
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Specifically what part do you need help with? It sounds like you already have a circuit, so why not attach the power source designed for it and move on to a more important part of the project?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

first...what voltage do you want to charge the caps up to?

So...1100 joules of energy to return to the caps in 10 seconds.

Q = C V......
Q = 8.4mF * V

Cap energy is 0.5 * C * V^2.

Sounds like you want a controlled boost converter to pour charge back into the caps.

There are IC's out there made to charge a photo-flash capacitor circuit. However, it sounds like your flash may be larger given the value of your capacitors you indicated.

A quick search (Digikey) uncovered the Linear Technology LT3420, and the data sheet even has examples of paralleling multiple chips to charge larger capacitors quicker - but still not as large as you indicate. (Digikey also has a Allegro Micorsystems A8439 as well, but given it's small surface-mount package, it might be hard for you to use).

Check out Linear Tech, Micrel, Maxim, National Semi, Fairchild Semi, and TI. Look for 'power management' ICs, boost-type switcher, PWM chips, and/or for photo flash chips, application notes, or circuit ideas. If you get lucky, you might find one of these companies has a demo board available.

Let's see....

First of all, 1100J out of a total of 8400uF. That requires 512V. The capacitors are being used above their 500V rating.

512V in 10 seconds takes 430mA average, probably in the neigborhood of 1A peak. That's a 500W peak switching circuit....not trivial.

If someone asked me to design that, I'd give them an estimate of 80 hours for analysis and a crude breadboard, then several more weeks to fine tune and get boards layed out.

It just doesn't sound like a simple circuit that someone can "help you with" on a chat room.

Darrell Hambley PE
SENTEK Engineering

More application notes on DC/DC converters for high voltage:
Linear Tech Application note 118, some of which appeared in an article this month - Electronic Design News, Aug 7, 2008, "High-voltage, low noise dc/dc converters" . These were in the pile of papers on my desk when I read your post.

Is this going to be a line operated device? If so, a modified Cockroft-Walton multiplier is likely to be what you require.
If you're using a regulating circuit, even a bang-bang regulator, you can safely charge the caps to their full 500 volt operating voltage. You will get up to 10% more energy during a pulse discharge such as that through a strobe lamp than the rated capacity of the caps would indicate. The discrepancy exists because the standard capacitance measurements are performed using a sine wave at 120Hz, and the discharge 'wavefront' is much faster than a 120 Hz sine wave.
A correctly designed line operated multiplier should recharge your cap bank in about 2.5 seconds, with an initial surge current of around 20 amperes lasting for the first few ac half-cycles, then tailing off to less than 2 amperes by the end of the cycle. Be sure to use zero crossing control on any thyristor you might use to control the multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back