Chart for benefits to heat treating tool steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
I'm seeking a couple charts.

First, I'm looking for a chart that breaks down some of the common metals and what they're good for, or where they'd best be used. Example: A2 - Tool Steel - Good for contacting other parts.

Second, I"m looking for a chart that shows and compares the various hardnesses you can apply by heat treatment to certain materials and their benefits. I've found a similar chart that breaks up certain tool steels and rates them 1-10 on toughness, wear resistance, and compression strength. But I'm looking for something that might indicate, what properties does A2 have hardened to 58 versus what properties does A2 have hardened to 62.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, so I'll have questions such as the following: For A2 tool steel, which is heat treatable in the range of 57-62, what benefits would I get at each hardness, or is it not going to affect it that much? Will I notice any changes in the toughness, wear resistance, or compressive strength when hardening A2 up to 62? At what point does A2 become brittle when hardening? I was hoping to find some type of chart that breaks down different tool steels and common carbon steels to show their nominal hardness, their hardening capabilities, and at what hardness range does it have certain benefits. I have the Machiners Handbook, and I used to be able to pull all the information I wanted from it. But over the years, I've become a big fan of charts, which I hang around my office instead of pictures, and a chart like what I'm talking about would be extremely helpful.

Like this?

Maui

A2_Toughness_uelkkd.jpg

No, that's more of a how-to harden. I'm looking for something that explains what the benefits at certain hardness's. Such as. A2 at it's nominal hardness is good for ?. A2 hardened to 58 HRC is good for ?. A2 Hardened to 62 HRC is good for? A2 becomes brittle at ? HRC.

I was hoping a chart existed for various metals. Maybe I'll make an excel sheet if I can't find one to sort different materials and/or different hardness properties.

Something like the chart below. I've seen similar charts in graph form, but not the information I'm seeking.

Chart_ofwcqt.jpg

In the AMS Metals Handbook there is a three page chart that lists tool steels and their relative strengths and weaknesses (toughness, wear, fracture, distortion....)
It is vol # of the old red ones, in newer ones it will be wherever tooling materials are discussed.
I actually keep an old Crucible Tool Steel Finder book handy.
Most tool steels are happiest in the middle of their temper range.
If you are stretching for max hardness or toughness you likely should look at other grades.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back