Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chartered with ICE or IStructE - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek671

Structural
Dec 7, 2012
GB
Hi guys,

Is there any real difference in being Chartered with one of these vs the other?

I'm currently a graduate member with IStructE and want to get Chartered in the next year or 2. I have the opportunity to take over a small business in the next 5 to 7 years but I will need to be SER registered before I can realistically do this. (SER is a method of engineering certification in Scotland and is needed for the vast majority of construction works). To become SER registered I need a further 5 years experience after becoming chartered, so time is in short supply.

The ICE review looks much easier with 75%ish pass rates, whereas IStructE only has a 35%ish pass rate (lower for first time applicants). I'm not doubting my Engineering ability but if I miss a trick on the IStructE exam day I will need to wait another year to sit it again.

Would it be wise to get Chartered with ICE since it seems my odds are higher to pass, or should I stick it out a year or two and go with IStructE?

Cheers for any replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whats stopping you doing both?

The IStructE is an examination whilst the ICE is more of a reporting route based on experience.

Kieran

You're right, nothing stopping me. Only draw back is cost I suppose.

ICE first then and if I feel I want IStructE later then so be it, I'll do that one later down the line.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back