Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check for perpendicularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SShashi

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2014
IN
Hello All,
I am looking for some kind of mechanism which helps me to know whether the power drill is normal(perpendicular) to the work surface. This should help the operator to know he is drilling correctly (normal to the surface). A slight deviation of 2 to 5 degrees is acceptable.

Thanks
Shashi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make a drill jig if it's an operation done a whole lot.

If it's a random thing that is needed in all sorts of situations and locations, a simple "drill block" can do it. Drill and ream a straight hole into a block of steel that is perpendicular to the bottom face. Put said block where you need to drill the hole. Drill through that block into the workpiece. The diameter of the hole in the drill block should be just enough to allow the drill to spin freely but not so loose that it can be out of perpendicularity or cause chips to bind between the block and the drill. Whether or not you need to bush the hole depends on the desired life expectancy. Using an aluminum block with a steel bushing is lightweight and lasts a long time.

Is this an overhead beam drill that has a lot of movement in it? Can you use a pair of simple gravity pointers with a 90 degree target dot that the operator can easily see? Just a thought.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Obviously a drill press would be the most suitable tool. You can also buy hand held drill motors with bubble levels. Or install a bubble level on one yourself.

As mcgvr said: "more info"

First thought: get a block of mild steel with sufficient real estate for clamping. Block size: L/D >= 3. Mill+Grind both sides parallel to within <suitable tolerance>. Add suitable drill bushings from <whatever source>. Clamp in place. Drill through material using drill bushing jig. This will give you about as accurate perpendicularity as possible with a manual drill.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Thanks all for the response...

I was looking into more automated mechanism like using sensors (since this is a hand held tool). I thought of a concept using IR beams to measure distance. i will use 3 IR beams (since we need 3 points to establish a plane) to measure distance of the object from drill collet, and if the distance measured is same for all, the surface is perpendicular.

Any comments on feasibility of this concept.

Thanks
Shashi

What point is the automation? Is it still going to be a user that must interpret the output and decide if the situation is correct before feeding the drill into the workpiece? If so, I think it's drastically overdesigned. As one person mentioned, a $2 bubble level will get it done, if applied properly.

But I'd be hard pressed to offer criticism or suggestion without knowing more about your situation. Are you drilling parallel to gravity, such that a bubble level would even be appropriate? Obviously such things won't work if it's a horizontal or odd-angle operation. What are you drilling and how many times, how many places, does it have to be mobile and held in the hand, or is this a stationary operation. What type of drill motor or press are you using? There's a lot of variables that affect "is this a good idea" or not.

As for 'feasible' - yes, one could make up a gizmo to measure distances, calculate the plane, and figure out how far out of parallel the recorded plane is from the plane established by the sensors themselves. It /can/ be done, but I don't know if it /should/ be done.

Rather than a way to tell if the operator is perpendicular, why not a mechanism to help them be perpendicular as most posters have alluded to.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back