Check out for offline working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saarp

Automotive
Apr 17, 2016
IL
Hello,

Is there any method for checking out an NX dataset, for working offline, i.e. when not connected to server overnight, and once connecting back, to check in on the server?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Short answer is "yes", I believe there is.
Assuming you know how to 'borrow' an NX license to your client for offline use, you'll need to learn and use the File -> Export Assembly outside Teamcenter... functionality.
Export_Import_wgmzea.png

After filling out all the required fields in all the appropriate Tabs, select the Checkouts tab: and check the box.

Export_CheckOut_l2zaxf.png

Next day, reverse the process by selecting File -> Import Assembly into Teamcenter. Fill out the Tabs and select the Checkouts tab and click on Check In.

Import_CheckIn_pjgs6l.png

A bit of cautionary advice...
Be sure you know how to use these menus and tabs.

Gary Bangs

It is too complicated. Using the import and export assembly outside teamcenter is very complicated for most users.
In the CATIA integration it saves the files in the CATUII folder.
But on NX it works "online" and if the connection to TC server is lost then the file won't save.

There is an option in Teamcenter to 'export file on check-out' in the options under General>Check-in/Check-out. Specify a location to put the file on your local drive and tick the 'Remove file on check-in' as well as it can get messy in the check-out folder.

When you check-out CAD data the file is then copied to the specified location. You can then copy the part file to your mobile workstation or move it to a USB drive to take home. In the morning move the modified file back to the specified location and check it in. The part will then be moved back in to Teamcenter including any changes you made overnight.

Using this method your data is checked out so prevents anyone else modifying the data while you are working on it as opposed to just exporting & importing. Obviously test this method first as your Teamcenter impementation might behave differently.

Simon

I checked it.
It is ALMOST what I wanted.
The only problem is that now the "integrated" NX is working on a different version than this one.
The dataset is still checked out on TC, and the file is on the work folder defined on TC options.
But I can still open the file from TC with the "open in NX" button.
Is there any way to define it also in NX that it will point to the same file?

There's also a problem that if I checkout the NX dataset, and then I want to rename the named-references, it doesn't let me to check it in, saying it can't find the file.

I'm afraid that on a daily basis this switch could be quite harmful, and probably that's why the IT managers defined this feature off as default.

BUT this seems like we're on the way :)
Could you please try to help us little more with this?

Thank you

I think that the named references will always get in the way & stop multiple parts being imported/exported in this way. Also assemblies refer to the database part & not native part. There could be a way round both the problems but I haven't had much chance to look.

Garys solution to export/import via NX could be the best solution. As he says in his post, make sure you are confident what options you are choosing in the menus.

I will look again when I get some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back