Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check Valve Erosion Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilatNEL

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2003
GB
I am currently investigating a problem in which sand erosion is occuring in a multiphase (oil/water/gas & sand) pipeline.

Essentially sand is causing erosion in the body and downstream of a dual plate check valve. I am looking for an alternative check valve design with a good record of erosion resistance in sandy service.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Neil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Another option would be a non-slam type of check valve - Crane-Stockham or Mokveld make these that may be suitable as they may have a better flow pattern that may cause lower erosion rates. I would check with your local rep for more info.

Andy

Try Noreva nozzle style check valves.
We have supplied a lot of valves to salt kavern oil storge facilities including oil, sand, water service with special coatings.
Send your application to hgustorf@noreva.de if you like.

Try the Mokveld as Sircrashalot has stated. Mokveld can even calcualte the pressure losses on mulit-phase flow conditions. Then they calculated the empirical erosion constant (see ISO 13703:2000)given you a "feeling" of the serverity of the application.
They have many check valves installed in the flowline of oil / gas production units.
You should be able to reach them via their website.

Bofore I look for alternate technology I always ask "is there any way to either just get rid of the check valve or move it to someplace after separation?"

I've had pretty good luck getting rid of check valves that were placed on wellhead tubing lines "because that is the way we've always done it" when the company had no intention of ever flowing casing and no credible source of backflow.

If you have to leave the valve, you should look hard at the suggestions above.

David

Neil,

Can you tell us a bit more on pressure and temperature?
If your seats are not damaged I do not believe a non slam check valve will solve your issue (also they will cost your customer a fortune), I am thinking more in lines of a rubber lined back flow preventor.

Regards, Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back