Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking Fixture Example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pina87

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2011
SI
Hi,
I would like to start business designing and building checking fixtures.
I was searching the internet, but I can't find an example of a checking fixture that I could study. For example GrabCad has a few of them, but there are no GD&T requirements that the design is based on.
If there is anyone that would be so kind to show me an example of a checking fixture I can study (let say about 7 GD&T's to check), I would be very thankful. If it is an ISO version, even better.

Thank you,
Pina

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pina87,

Have you asked yourself why anybody would hire you?

I took a bunch of manufacturing courses in college. I graduated understanding this stuff. I have gotten trained in the GD&T since. Anybody in his right mind looking for a contractor, will demand years of experience designing these things. Inspecting a few pictures on the internet would not do.

--
JHG

Ok, thank you Drawoh :).

Ctopher: I meant a go-nogo fixture. Do you have any examples that you could share with me. Looks like I am not a real threat at all ;).

When I was in school I had numerous textbooks on manufacturing processes, tool design, and shop techniques that all covered this subject thoroughly. If you're seriously interested, why aren't you considering technical college training to understand thoroughly how the subject of "Metrology" works?

STF

ctophe: thank you, I understand.

MintJulep: yes, I allready searched this term, thank you

SparWeb: I acctualy have a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering/design. In my 5 years of study I haven't come across any information that had to deal with tool and die making....sad isn't it? Now I have to study it on my own. We covered GDT in the first year like it was something I will never use :).
Thank you all for your responses. Soon I will open another thread where I will start asking more detailed questions about functional gage design.

So you want to start a business designing and building checking fixtures? But based on your OP it does not seem that you have much experience operating this type of business, designing inspection fixtures, or maybe even manufacturing inspection fixtures. Seems a bit overly ambitious to me.

If you already have the equipment/facilities/expertise required to manufacture and qualify the type of inspection fixtures you have in mind, I'd suggest you start by partnering with a tool designer that has experience in this area. Most companies want inspection fixtures designed in a certain way. Without a thorough understanding of what each fixture will require you won't even be able to do an accurate job of bidding. You won't stay in business long losing money on jobs.

Pina,
You may have missed the point I wanted to get across (but if you did and just didn't address it, then I hope this helps anyway): Engineering courses in university may include measurement and inspection tools, but not likely in detail. I know I wasn't even shown how to read a dial micrometer. I wouldn't expect university trained engineers to understand the subject well enough to found a business. To compete, that should require both training and experience. By "technical college" I was referring to trades or vocational school (your language may vary) which will train technicians, not engineers, the use and design of manufacturing tools and in great detail. It is a very deep subject, and to those who practice it well, very rewarding, too.

STF

Why do you want to start a business in a field you know so little about? Sounds to me like you don't even know who your customers would be or what they might need. Sounds like you also do not know what other companies in the field offer, and how you might stand out. I would suggest finding one of those companies and going to work for them.

Great advice above, go work for a company that does this sort of thing, get the experience AND the contatcs, then go out on your own and compete against them.

Yes, thank you.
All of the above is true, I'm learning GDT by myself and I will also attend a course in the near future. I am also gathering information about this kind of business in my region. I see that in Germany there are many businesses that specialize only in CF design and building. In our country there is only one :).
So, wish me luck and thank you for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back