Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical Engineering Books 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

consul

Chemical
Jan 11, 2000
PH
www.geocities.com
Dear everyone,<br><br>I am a chemical engineering professor and I am at present gathering list of required texts and recommended references for several chemical engineering courses such as the following:<br><br>1. ChE Thermodynamics <br>2. Reaction Kinetics&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>3. Biochemical Engineering<br>4. Physical Chemistry<br>5. Separation Processes<br><br>and many more. <br><br>Any suggestions?<br> <p>Allan S. Hugo<br><a href=mailto: allanh@engineer.com> allanh@engineer.com</a><br><a href= Applications in Chemical Engineering</a><br>For info: checomp_info@webmailstation.com

Hi,<br><br>I've used the following books:<br>- thermo: Smith, Van Ness, Introduction to Chem. Eng. Thermo., McGraw-Hill<br>- reaction kinetics: Fogler, Elements of Chem. Reaction Eng., Prentice-Hall<br>- separ. processes: Treybal, Mass Transfer Operations, McGraw-Hill; Foust et al., Principles of Unit Operations, Wiley; Geankoplis, Transport Processes and Unit Operations, Prentice-Hall<br> <p>Ari Constancio, Chem. Eng.<br><a href=mailto:ari.constancio@netc.pt>ari.constancio@netc.pt</a><br><a href= de Engenharia Química (in portuguese)</a><br>

Thermodynamics: <br>Robert C. Reid, John M.Prausnitz, Bruce E. Poling<br>The Properties of Gases and Liquids<br>McGraw-Hill

Hey, <br><br>Thanks to Ari and serendip. Some more inputs guys?<br>I am now in the stage of summarizing all my findings.<br><br>As of the moment, I have already created a site that will encompass or list all these books.&nbsp;&nbsp;The main page is at this URL:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> may click on the book link. <p>Allan S. Hugo<br><a href=mailto: allanh@engineer.com> allanh@engineer.com</a><br><a href= Applications in Chemical Engineering</a><br>For info: checomp_info@webmailstation.com

I aggre about all the book recomended before. I would like to include the book of E. J Henley / J. D. Seader Equilibrium stage separation operation in Chemical Process and the book of C. J. King Separation Process.

On this side of the pond much of the standard chemical engineering course is covered by Coulson & Richardson's Chemical Engineering vols 1-6 (vols 4&5 are q&a).<br><br>I also found Levenspiels Chemical Recation Engineering particularly useful.<br><br>kaypeegee<br>UK

Hi! I appreciate the recent suggestions coming from Barquisimetano and kaypeegee.<br><br>These suggestions will be included in my list in the next update of the URL:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> more? How about in the field of polymer science, analytical chemistry and waste management?<br><br>More bright ideas?<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br> <p>Allan S. Hugo<br><a href=mailto: allanh@engineer.com> allanh@engineer.com</a><br><a href= Applications in Chemical Engineering</a><br>For info: checomp_info@webmailstation.com

Hi,<br><br>For analytical chemistry, I've used:<br>Skoog, West, Holler, &quot;Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry&quot;, Saunders College Publishing<br><br>For polymers, I used:<br>Billmeyer, &quot;Textbook of Polymer Science&quot;, Wiley <p>Ari Constancio, Chem. Eng.<br><a href=mailto:ari.constancio@netc.pt>ari.constancio@netc.pt</a><br><a href= de Engenharia Química (in portuguese)</a><br>

The texts I used were either from Mcgraw Hill, Prentice Hall, J Wiley, Ohio State University Press, TAMU Press, etc, and various publications from assorted maufacturers. But the one that helped me the most was, &quot;Applied Thermodynamics&quot;, T.D. Eastop & A.McConkey, Longman Inc. New York.

Hope this helps.

Following are the ones I use:

Thermo:

Smith and Van Ness (Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics)

Van Wylen and Sonntag (Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics)

Modell and Reid (Thermodynamics and its Applications)

Henley and Seaders book &quot;Equilibrium Stage Separation Operations in Chemical Engineering&quot; has a good section on applying equations of state.

Edminster (Applied Hydrocarbon Thermodynamics Vol 1 and 2)

Reaction Kinetics:

Levenspiel (Chemical Reaction Engineering)

Smith (Chemical Engineering Kinetics)

Physical Chemistry:

Castellan (Physical Chemistry)

Separation Processes:

Schweitzer (Handbook of Separation Techniques for Chemical Engineers)

Treybal (Mass Transfer Operations)

Holland (Fundamentals of Multicomponent Distillation)

Kister (Distillation Design)

Catalysis:

Satterfield (Heterogenous Catalysis)

Gates, Katzer, Shuit (Chemistry of Catalytic Processes)

Regards,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back