Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chemical Reaction with Carbon Monoxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikepilot

Chemical
Jun 3, 2007
US
Does anyone know of a chemical reaction between carbon monoxide and another substance that would eliminate the carbon monoxide from the chemical reaction. Example: the exhaust from a gas powered engine passing through a contained unit that contains said chemical within it that would eliminate the carbon monoxide through chemical reaction and produce little to no carbon monoxide in the release of gases from the contained unit. I am not an engineer but just very interested in chemical processes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is a great site. Thanks. I see that they use a precious metal inside the converter but how does the actual process happen that helps to reduce the carbon monoxide. I read through that but I need it in dumb-dumb terms if someone can help me out. Could the precious metal inside the converter be increased to further reduce the amount of carbon monoxide? Thanks again.

The best advice you can get anywhere on this subject is to take stock of what 25362 is pointing to.

Any professional engineer (especially a Chemical Engineer)involved in processing plants or refineries knows this reaction well. First of all, you need a Hydrogen feed; then you require a lot of experience and knowledge in controlling reactors. It is not very difficult to fuse (or melt) the shell of the reactor once the reaction "runs away". If you are not a professional engineer, I advise you to give it up now before someone gets hurt - seriously.

I'm not trying anything and I'm not an engineer. Just curious as to the process. A friend and I were on road trip and were talking about this and made me curious. Thanks

OK Bikepilot.
Increasing the precious metals content does not necessarily help to further reduce the amount of CO. It is not necessarily rate determining, just like increasing the amount of oranges at the greengrocer will not help you buy them faster if you have to wait at the cash desk.

Moreover the precious metal really is precious, almost 20000 US$/lbs for platinum (palladium is cheaper, rhodium is even more expensive), so you would not stick more in there than strictly necessary, and disperse it very carefully on the carrier surface so every bit of it is used to its maximum.

The reaction is time and temperature dependant. The higher the temperature and the longer the time in contact with the catalst the more the CO will be reacted. So, to get it hotter, inject fuel into the exhaust and a cost. To get longer time with the catalyst, you can make the chamber bigger (yes with more precious metals) and suffer some pressure drop, which reduces the engine efficency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back