Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical Rust Removers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

innovator

Automotive
Jan 31, 2002
GB
I have a lot of intricate steel parts which I wish to plate and powder coat, but they have a light coating of rust.

In the past I have sand blasted, but recently I have seen advertised powders that are disolved in water and you immerse the steel parts and it cleans the rust off.

Internet searches have indicated that oxalic acid,and various other acids are used as rust removers, but I can not find any formula.

Does anybody know about chemical rust removal from steel?

Is it possible and effective?

Thank you

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are Northwest Research Institute and we do a lot of work on oxidation and removing oxidation from hardmetals and ceramics.

However, for rust on steel I keep some white vinegar under the sink at home. When a salt water fishing knife gets rusty I just let it soak in white vienegar for a while (maybe overnight). Pull it out and hit it with a scotch green pad and it cleans up pretty well.

Tom

You can also use Hydrocloric acid with a 3% solution of "PavPrep" It's some kind of alcohol based liquid. It keeps the acid from eating the metal. I used to work for them and used it, in small amounts, to clean up and restore old motorcycles. You can put parts in an it fizzes off all the rust in short order, you can also forget about for weeks, and the parts will be fine. Many platers also use it as Pavco is a chemical plating company.

Will

A solution we use with considerable success for cleaning rusty field returns is 6N hydrochloric acid with 2 g/l hexamine as detailed in the Metals Handbook Volume 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back