Chevy transmission noise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMc

Automotive
Nov 25, 2001
US
Hello again

I drive a year 2000 Chevy Express 3500 panel van during work. We bought this van mid summer, with 97000-some miles on it, and have had to sink more than 500 dollars into it to get it working somewhat correctly.

The first was a partial brake failure (!) which was, fortunately, a lot less interesting than it might have been.

A new set of pads and rotors later, we got the van back, but it was still making a noise. I know it has ABS, and the noise sounded a lot like the anti-lock system working, so I chalked it up to a faulty ABS sensor and let it go. I figured we had spent enough money already, I hated to "cry wolf", and seventy percent was good enough.

But, earlier today, I shifted into neutral at a stoplight, and the noise stopped immediately. I'm thinking now that it might be coming from a little closer to my feet than the braking system is.

The dash indicates three speeds plus Drive, although with the selector in Drive, I can only feel one upshift, at 25 mph. It's a heavy vibration, almost a grinding noise, and persists in 1, 2, 3, and Drive. It is most noticeable when I'm stopped, and I can hear it clearly during the upshift. The transmission generally seems rough, although it moves through the various selections like it should and does not pop out of gear. Putting it in neutral or park stops the noise immediately, and it never occurs in park.

My questions are:

1) What is it that I'm hearing?

2) How important is it?

3) If it is important, how much to fix it?

Thanks much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EMc, I am not familiar with the late GM trannies later than TH350 and 400's, so all I can do is generalize.
It would appear that you have some fairly major malfunction going on inside and if not taken care of will no doubt make itself evident SOON!!! If you pull the pan and have a look, I'll bet you will find it full of metal.
Transmissions for one ton truck will probably be about $1700 or so plus labor to R & R.(It has been a few years, so it may be more) Rebuilt units are available and can be as cheap as a few hundred dollars, but be forwarned, you will get what you pay for.
If you are at all handy around a tool box, buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. Automatic transmissions ARE complicated pieces of equiptment,but they
ARE NOT difficult for a reasonably competant mechanic to rebuild! Get a book when you buy the rebuild kit. The job will cost you a few busted knuckles and about $100. If you choose this option, replace the torque converter with a new or rebuilt unit while your at it.
Another option is the wrecking yard. A few hundred bucks, and, if you choose carefully, a good option.

Whatever your problem, it doesn't sound like it is likely to fix itself.

That's pretty high mileage for a two year old truck, hope you got a deal.

Good luck---

Rod

There is one other possibility , a broken flexplate. It doesn't sound like that from what you wrote in your post, but I may be interpreting your information wrong.
At any rate, it is always a good idea to inspect it , and replace of you find ANY cracks of signs of failure.

Rod

Thanks, Rod

I was afraid it was something expensive; some noises just sound costly, you know...

My boss isn't too keen on me working on that hulking monster myself, but $1700 on top of the $500+ she's already spent, on top of the $20K! (no sh**!) for the original purchase, might change her mind.

Assuming she is okay with the idea, I have another few questions.

1) For my own knowledge, what is a flexplate?

2) What does it do?

3) Where should I look for it among the guts of the transmission?

4) Will it be obvious if it is worn and

4b) If not, what would wear look like (scratches, bends, etc)?

5) Would I need special equipment (jacks, lifts, etc) to open the transmission?

6) Would a list of said equipment appear in a rebuild kit book?

That's all I can think of for now, I'll certainly come back with more if I can think of it.

Thanks for the help, even if it isn't very nice news...

EMc

EMc---

The flexplate is simply the "flywheel" on an automatic trannie. It is bolted to the crankshaft and the torque converter bolts to it. It is made of a steel stamping and is prone to failure after long and hard useage, which your truck apparantly has had . ANY cracks or fatigue marks, it should be replaced. You must remove the trannie and the torque converter to inspect it. You will need to rent a transmission jack, inexpensive, buy a book on your transmission, fairly inexpensive, buy a rebuild kit , around $100 or less, a rebuilt torque converter, about $65 ???, about 10 or 12 qts. of transmission fluid, find a helper and a clean work area , a floor jack with 4 heavy duty jack stands (NEVER work under any vehicle without proper jack and jack stands) and, you must have some mechanical ability and be FEARLESS when it comes to trying new projects. Remember it's like CPR, the patient was dead when you started, you cannot make it any worse.

If you choose to buy a rebuilt tran. then normal hand tools will suffice. If you choose to "dig into it" there may be a few specialized tools required, not inexpensive, like I said I am not familiar with your specific transmission . From what you say, perhaps a used unit from a wrecking yard would be your best bet. I have had varrying degrees of success with that approach. They will almost always guarantee them to work, but that will not cover your labor.

My advice here and , keep in mind that free advice is often worth what you pay for it, is that if this is not your usual job with this company and it IS a company truck, HAVE THE WORK DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL SHOP. Shop around, and get references from previous customers. There are some very good shops that will work with you.

[ $20,000!!!]

Rod

Thanks again, Rod

You're right sbout this not being my regular job! I'm an enthusiast, but anything much bigger than an MG makes me nervous. At least with those little Brit-mobiles, you stand half a chance of escaping if the jackstands collapse on your leg.

So my next question is, how to break it to my boss that she's going to have to sink ANOTHER $2,000 into this rolling money pit?

Just kidding! That's a question for a phsychologist or a politician (or a magician?).

Seriously. I work for a sub shop, and we do a decent wholesale business in coordination with a number of local groceries and convenience stores. We bought this van because the local branch of the Health Department said that the subs had to be refrigerated during transport. We hadn't had any problems before, but they didn't care. Okay, they've got a job to do.

I guess my boss had a certain time limit in which she had to fix this problem, and this white elephant was the first thing that came along. It was sold to us by a guy who worked for Kutztown Bologna somehow.

Now my question for you gents is,

1) Can my boss get this sucker for selling us a lemon

2) and if so, how.

3) Or, can you point me to information on how to do that.

Thanks
EMc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back