Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chilled Water Piping Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRBKDW

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2003
US
What is a typical value that is used for sizing chilled water piping. I've heard that 10'head loss/100' of pipe is a good rule of thumb. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASHRAE 2001 Fundamentals, Ch. 35:

1-4 ft friction loss per 100 ft of pipe; 2.5 ft as mean. For noise, keep velocity less than 4 feet per second (fps) for 2&quot; dia. and smaller pipes. For greater than 2&quot; dia., keep PD <4 ft per 100 ft pipe. If you reduce air and turbulence, you can exceed the 4 ft limit.

There are also tables in Ch. 35 that indicate:

4-10 fps for general service
3-7 fps for city water (per Crane & Carrier)
2-5 fps for city water (per Grinnell)
6-15 fps for boiler feed
4-7 fps for pump suction & drain lines

And max. water velocity to minimize erosion is 10-15 fps range, depending on hours of operation during the year.

SRBKDW, Get a hold of a Bell and Gosset system syzer calculator The normally used design range is 100 to 500 mil inches/ft of pipe

I think the term 'mil inches/ft' is a pressure drop term in terms of head, head being the mil inches.

mil inches of water per foot of pipe essentially.

0.25 mil inches/ft is about 1 psi/100' (if I'm right).

If I am correct, mil inches seems to be a redundant term.
1 mil = 1/1000 th of an inch.(generally used to figure out corrosion, mils/year)

100 mils = 0.1 inch and 500 mils = 0.5 inch
so for 100 ft, it is 10 to 50 inches which is 0.83 to 4.2ft/100ft. So the values given by Imok seems to be ok.

Regards,

Believe it or not : Eratosthenes, a 3rd century BC true philologist, calculated circumference of earth with the help of a stick and it's shadow. The error was just 4% to the present day calcuated value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back