Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chiller condenser flow estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clymber

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2003
US
I need to estimate the condenser water flow through a pair of TRANE Centravac water chillers (one 750-ton unit & one 1150-ton unit). I have data for % compressor load on both units and incoming/exiting cooling water temperatures, but no flow data. Can the flows across both chiller condensers be estimated from the information available?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Brad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The total heat rejection to the cooling tower is the sum of the cooling capacity of the chiller + the compressor input (assuming hermetic compressor so compressor input all goes to refrigerant, not to ambient). So say the 750 ton unit compressor input is .7 kw/ton, since 1 kw is 2545 btu/hr and 1 ton is 12000 btu/hr, heat rejection of the 750 ton chiller is 2545 x.6 + 12000 = 13527 btu/hr per ton of cooling. Now typical condenser water temperature is 85°F entering and 95°F leaving or 10°F temperature rise. Solving for cooling tower gpm per ton:
Gpm = (btu/hr)/(500 x t rise) = 13527 / (500x10) = 2.71 gpm per ton. The 750 ton chiller therfore will require 2.71 x 750 = 2033 gpm at 10 degrees TD. The gpm for the 1150 ton chiller can similarly be calculated. Actually it is usually possible to select electric chiller & cooling tower combinations that would work in the 2 to 3 gpm (note absorption chillers would require about 4.6 gpm/ton)range. But the minimum entering water temperature is always 85°F based on typically 78°F wb, (occassionally 80°F wb but selection will not be CTI certified). Typical is about 3 gpm per ton but we do design for the minimum, 2 gpm per ton if we want to save on cooling tower space (existing building limits available space) and pumping energy.

Guys, thanks for all of the useful information. At this point, I do know the flow across the cooling towers. My goal was to estimate cooling water flow across the chillers in order to determine the %chiller load vs. total loading on the cooling towers.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back