Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chiller motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka043710

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2005
US
hi guys,
i just found out that 100tons is equivalent to 350kw which is also equivalent to 469.2hp (electric). however, my 100ton chiller motor is only rated for 150hp, which is less than 469.2hp but runs fine. why is that so?

at face value, how do i determine the energy consumption (in kwh) of a 100ton chiller? can i just use the 350kw equivalent for my calculations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cooling effect and the power required to drive a machine that produces cold are NOT the same.

Search the archives of this site, the web or your thermo texts for "coeficient of performance".

If you can get an ammeter on the live conductors feeding the chiller then measure each of the three phase legs.
Power consumption for each phase is volts x amps x power factor. If you have a 460 volt wye winding chiller then total power is 3 x 277 x ampdraw x pf . Get the power factor from the mfr. Or use 0.9 as a rough approximation. You should also measure the voltage to neutral at the chiller disconnect. If you don't know what you are doing with live electrical get an electrician. There's no value in frying yourself.

The mfr's data will also give you kw consumption (what it's suppossed to be)at various operating conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back