Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chiller Structural Foundation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloyRD

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2013
PE
Hi, everyone.

I'm looking into the requirements that I should make to the structural engineer for the installation of a magnetic chiller in a roof.

After looking into thread507-299291 I'm understanding that if he provides a 6'' maintenance slab and I specify that the equipment is provided with vibration isolators a floating isolation slab isn't required. That would save him a lot of headaches due to the reduced weight. Could someone guide me to a resource for specifying chiller foundation?

Regards.
EloyRD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You provide him the weight and what vibration isolation you will specify (varying isolators will still let varying vibrations through). Work with a vibration isolator manufacturer on what best product to use. It being outside (sunlight, water, freezing etc.) will limit the choices.

The rest is up to the structural engineer. He is responsible to build the structure to survive the residual vibration from your equipment.

The mass of the foundation has a response frequency range. If the response frequency of the equipment is dissimilar from the foundation, there will be no vibration.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

@EnergyProfessional
Thanks for the input.
I've been having a really difficult time getting information from my local dealers of Arctic, Smartd, and Daikin Chillers. They do not seem to be able to obtain a data sheet with vibration data from their headquarters, and my vibration isolation provider requires that information to propose a solution that leaves residual vibration that the structural engineer can evaluate against the post-tensioned slab roof.
This is becoming a pain in the ass. Had you had to deal with a similar issue?

@msquared48
Thanks. The structural engineer is having a hard time designing over a post-tensioned slab without a vibration check. Hope we get some information soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back