Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chiller's shoot-off valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilFox

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2003
RU
Hi all!
As is known, obligatory attributes, necessary at installation chiller,
are so-called shoot-off valves.
I am not quite sure, but I assume,that it's made for when chiller does
not work, the pump consumed smaller power (1), and that the cooled
water did not proceed through evaporator(And condenser) (2).
My question: If nevertheless to open of the valve at not working chiller,
provided that In system there is some chillers and some of them continue to
work, i.e. to cool water, what negative consequences it will result?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that you are referring to shutoff valves, which are used to stop the flow of water through a chiller which is not operating.

When water is allowed to flow through the evaporator of a chiller which is not operating, this water is bypassing the operating chiller, so the temperature of your chilled water system will be affected. It should not have any adverse consequences on the non-operating chiller itself, but you should ensure that the operating chiller is still receiving adequate flow.

If water is allowed to flow through the condenser of a non-operating chiller, it should not cause problems with that chiller as long as the temperature is within the range that the manufacturer specifies.

---KenRad

If each chiller has a dedicated chilled water pump with a check valve at the discharge, you will not need to shut off isolation valve when the chiller & its pump are off.

Be carefull....Depending on your CHW pipe configuration you may need the isolating valves even with the check valves and dedicated pumps for each chillers. I had an instance where water was induced through the Chiller/Pump that was switched OFF by the pump that was running and it effected my chilled water supply temperature.

This question is connected to a method of regulation the necessary difference pressure on evaporator in case of small heat loading,
but plenty of the consumers . The variant is considered
for VarPrOnlySys. Unique, that anxieties me,
it's passage of the cooled water through evaporator. I somewhere read,
though can be I am mistaken, what is't will call, accumulation freon in evaporator with possible dangerous consequences.
Is there somebody any experience on this theme?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back