Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

China eastern airlines crash update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not really germane to the topic, but since the referenced article mentioned the CAAC, it reminded me of my one interaction with the CAAC a couple of decades ago. I worked for a company that was coordinating a US STC from the FAA with the CAAC for a Chinese aircraft we were contracted to modify. The CAAC sent over one of their senior deputies along with a couple of mid-level managers as his entourage.

I had been asked by our department head to participate as I had done the technical research for the project, while our department head would handle the administrative aspects of the coordination.

The senior deputy was clearly competent and knowledgeable about the process, and the meetings went well. The senior deputy seemed pleased with the progress.

When the day was over and everyone agreed the effort had been successful, the senior deputy took our department head aside, who likely would have dismissed me quickly from the room if he had known the request about to come from the senior deputy.

The request (in quotes so you can get the gist but it is not really an exact quote decades later) was this to my department head: "Get me some American girls. I want some American girls in my hotel room tonight!"

I quickly dismissed myself from the room, and I never asked my department head how he responded to that request.

Sorry that it is off-topic, but that is my one and only interface with the CAAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back