Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

China wants to Make our products? Trouble understanding the Motive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonsteimel

Mechanical
Oct 19, 2010
US
I work for a small company (approx 20 employees) manufacturing unique recreational vehicles.
Recently we've had multiple Chinese companies/individuals purchase our products. They all want to be dealers, by where they buy a certain amount of products & receive a pre-neg discount which will allow them to resell at a higher cost for make profit. Some have been given dealership agreements.

We thought they were probably going to counterfeit. Being a small company, there is not much we can do stop counterfeiters in other countries despite what some may say or think. It would not be the first time we have been counterfeited. So we decided to sell them to get some money out of it regardless of what happened.

Most of the Chinese companies/individuals are re-selling them to various branches/outlets of the the Chinese government. It seems that they offer "under the table" bribes/kick-backs" to the officer/manager of the given government branch that it interested in buying the product. And which ever dealer offers the most rewarding kick-back will often get the sale even though they may be selling the product at the highest price (obviously the kick-back just gets tagged on to the end-price of the product).... Anyway.....

Each of these companies/individuals are currently manufacturing and/or selling other quasi-similar products, as the sale qty from our products alone are too small to support a decent sized business.

However, to our knowledge they have not copied or counterfeited the products. We've went to China and visited their factories & businesses.etc They have our products and are capable of reverse engineering, copying and manufacturing them. However, they seem bent on setting up some type of deal where we "endorse" them to manufacture our these products in China for sale in China. This involves us giving drawings & technical support.etc However our product is not all that complex (probably about as complex as your average motorcycle) so it is not as if they cannot reverse engineer it themselves.

They are willing to export I think but seem to be interested in Mfg for sale in China. They don't seem too interested in manufacturing specific components and exporting to us. They tend to want to manufacture the whole/final product.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with business in China. Is the government offering a reward or subsidy for bringing outside/foreign & "endorsed" manufacturing into China?
Something worth noting; We do not offer protection to the dealers, thus 2 or more dealers may open in the same area/country and compete with each other as is the case here. Perhaps if a dealer can become a manufacturer of the product they will win the monopoly of selling our product?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe 20 years ago, I was working for a large manufacturer of medical electronics.
We were convinced to sell 100 'kits' to produce one of our smaller products, not quite as complex as a motorcycle, but close, for final assembly and sale in China.
We tooled up to produce more kits, meaning we sold the kits at a loss, in anticipation of future sales.
We shipped the kits, and never heard from the buyer again.

At that time, I suspected that the kits were used as prototypes to clone the product, but I have no knowledge that such a thing did or did not happen.

Upon reflection, it was kind of a crappy product because it was rushed to market, so it wouldn't surprise me to find a vastly improved Chinese version for sale somewhere. ... but I have no knowledge that such a thing did or did not happen.

Your mileage may vary.

ISTR that both Buick and Harley-Davidson have been selling their products in China profitably for some time, and Chinese clones may exist, but have not appeared here. ... yet. ... probably because the Chinese domestic market is so huge that it's not worth the bother to ship clones into a smaller and competitive market.

I'd be concerned about selling my drawings overseas, especially if the customer requested a modification to add tiedowns for ocean shipping. That could backfire badly.

Be sure the sale price for the drawings is sufficient to fully fund the owner's retirement. ;-)

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

It's dependent on who they are selling to. Most of the time, they're cloning stuff to sell back to us, because the US market tends to be cost-sensitive. However, the current middle-class Chinese market is supposedly very desiring of buying US products, for whatever reason, most of which boils down to them trusting us more than their homegrown suppliers.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

When it is cheaper to make wooden popsicle sticks and toothpicks and BBQ skewers in China, then ship them 6000 miles over by truck, ship, train, and truck again here to sell for 50 cents per package of 100 .... Ya gotta wonder.

My opinion? They are copying your design.

I think that it is based on greed of the first world country owners who have a willingness to sell anything if they can make a buck. Why would the chinese need to reverse engineer a product if the owner company will allow them to sell said product with product definition provided by the owner? The expense of reverse engineering should be borne by the owner of the technology, not upon the copier. The chinese are aware of the weaknesses of the capitalist system and know how to lean (patiently and persistently) on the greedy parties.

How does the company owner answer your Eng-Tips question?

The Chinese government subsidizes somehow, somewhere. I bought some BlueTooth dongles on eBay a while ago for about a buck, with free shipping. That's supposed to account for the materiel, overhead expenses, and shipping and handling. In the US, the postage alone would be ~40 cents.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I don't work in the manufacturing field, but would it be possible (or make economical sense) to have the China firm assemble all parts except "the super secret" part of your product? In that way, you benefit from the cheap assembly but retain the one element that makes your product unique. I don't know if there are any in your product but computer chips come to mind as something very unique you wouldn't want to be duplicated.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

"I bought some BlueTooth dongles on eBay a while ago for about a buck, with free shipping."

That would make me worry - is there some way the dongles could be hacked to retransmit your supposedly encrypted data stream, or...?

The assembly cost of our product is just a fraction of the final cost.

We make or modify virtually every part. We do not manufacture engines, but rather buy them from a well known engine supplier and modify them for our use.

Materials, Fabrication & Modification are the real money-sponges... Its not worth the time & effort to send all the parts to China just to have them to assemble them. The money saver is in manufacturing some or all of the components in China.

Think of your average motorcycle... What is Super-Secret about an avg motorcycle? Nothing... Exclude the engine and every part could be reverse engineered or purchased elsewhere with relative ease.

The best case would be to let them manufacture some of the components for us, but they are bent on manufacturing & assembling the whole product... I'm reading between the lines here, but it seems they aren't interested in offering us Money for our designs & endorsement to mfg, but rather offer us "stock" in their company and/or cheap products for us to resell. Kind of the ole switch-a-roo if I'm reading the situation right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back