Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chloride Ion Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

labboss

Materials
Jan 3, 2007
US
I'm hoping someone out there can help me with chloride ion testing of concrete. My company purchased a pH meter from Gilson (HM-347) a few years ago for the purpose of conducting our own testing, but never used it. Now my boss is requiring that we start conducting our own tests rather than subcontract. The instructions for the meter do not specifically address the testing of concrete. I have reviewed AASHTO T260 which was not helpful regarding the use of the meter. I have also contacted Gilson and had no luck. I am looking for someone who knows how to use this device, and can explain the chemistry associated with it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I may be able to help you out. I stumble on this forum when looking for some info myself. Did your ph meter come as a whole kit with sample blanks with different concentrations of chloride or do you just have the ph meter?"

We did purchase the unit as a kit. I have 4, 7, and 10 ph solutions supplied with the kit. I have done a little research, but i'm still not 100% on how to proceed. The electrode is "double". I have a temperature sensor. So i know the unit will do temperature correction on it's own.

To do Cl the must be able to read milli volts I suggest you purchase a copy of ASTM C1152 from ASTM.org. A test method is spelled out there. I run these all the time and can help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back