Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chlorine And Polymers/Membranes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am currently looking for a polymer film/membrane to use in a chlorine sensing electrode.&nbsp;&nbsp;The material must allow chlorine in solution to permeate through in the form of free available chlorine (HOCl) and total residual chlorine (chloroamines, HOCl et al.).&nbsp;&nbsp;It does not matter if other species will be able to permeate through, but minimal water permeation is mandatory!!&nbsp;&nbsp;The electrode would be used in industrial, in-line application and may be subject to high temperatures and pressures.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have already tried a number of polymer films (nylon, PVC, polyimide, polycarbonate, polysulphone) that have failed to read chlorine.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a suspicion that it is because these films are hydrophobic therefore not allowing any solution permeation whatsoever.&nbsp;&nbsp;Right now I am considering teflon PTFE due to chlorine's abaility to permeate through it with minimal water absorption and its resistance to chlorine oxidative attack.&nbsp;&nbsp;ANY info/suggestions is appreciated!!!<br>mlovin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mlovin,

I don't know if it's too late to reply your threat because you've posted it for a long time. I'm working on a project to develop a sensor to measure hydrogen in a presence of Chlorine. The objective is to find a material- membrane or coating material- that can block chlorine but can give passage to hydrogen. I think the fail results of my work would be useful to you. Anyway, there were results from previous study stated that &quot;Teflon, Fluorodyn sheet or Kynar&quot; allow chlorine to pass through so maybe you can try these materials.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back