Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choice of SS material 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVNMech

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2005
BE
Hello to all,

At a temperature of 600°C (1112°F), which material is the better for use? SS304 or SS321.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It all depends on the application.
IF a little sensitisation wouldn't hurt then 304L should be fine. But if corosion (pitting or CSCC) are concerns remember that they are both accelerated by sensitization. In that case the 321 would have some advantages.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

In comparison to 304L the higher carbon in 321 also provides better high temperature strength if that is an issue. My minimum creep data shows that at 1100F the Average stress for 0.0001%/hr creep rate of 304L is 7,700 psi vs. 20,000 for 321.

EN8 alloy that I know is a medium carbon(approx 0.38-0.45%) steel.What do you want to substitute for?

Let me put it this way:

- if sensitization is not an issue, SS304 would be just fine. However, either use 304H or 304 with minimum carbon content of 0.04%.

- If sensitization is indeed an issue (which means that you require high corrosion resistance as well), go for SS321.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back