Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choose a process simulation model. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairspray

Petroleum
Feb 17, 2004
NO
Hi.
I m a process engineer, and have done some simulation on HYSYS. I resently got a new job, where Im suppose to get into process simulation in the future, although the company has not chosen one particular model to use. I like HYSYS, but the company wants to have the options open, and then decide if HYSYS will be used or not. My question is; any recommondation for other simulation program but HYSYS, that take care of process related systems? And where can I get some information??

Thanks for your time:)
Annie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Annie
I think it depends on which system you are dealing with. In general, popular softwares for simulation in chemical engineering are

1. Aspen - now aspen has aquired HYSYS but still they are selling it separately. It has got lot of options and can do loads of things (solids, electrolytes, rate-based models etc.) Take a look at aspentech.com But people who use it think that it is good for general purposes and when it comes to separation especially related to refinery then HYSYS has advantages.
Aspen has aspen customised modeller where you can program and make your own model which will be solved using powerful solvers in the aspen.

2. HYSYS - you know about this

3. PRO-II - This is not much known in academics but it is widely used in industries. It is recommended as it is user friendly and you can put your data easily (this option i was told by my friend but i have no in detail idea). this from simsci.

if you have some special needs then it is worth to look at some small software companies who are expertise in that particular area. e.g. for amine system TSWEET is very popular in the industry.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Prashant

Annie,

ProII is one of the easiest to learn!!! The graphical user interface and the ability to put exchanger data into a spreadsheet makes this program a lot easier to put refining and most chemical processes through a lot of "what-if" situations... I have used HCOMP, HYSIS, ASPEN and PRO-II. As with all simulators there is a steep learning curve, but give it three full days. AND CALL THE SUPPORT LINES OFTEN!!!

If you would like to discuss, 713-374-7974

I have only used ChemCAD (by Chemstations), which is another process simulation package. It is in its most basic form a steady state modeling tool. However, it can be "tricked" to perform some dynamic modeling. If you want to spend the money, the dynamic modeling add-on can be purchased. The software is good - but I don't have any expierence with others for comparison. The package allows for the use of a wide range of thermodynanmic models, electrodynamic modeling, and a full range of unit operations. The interface is entirely graphic. Also, the customer support has always been very helpful.

What I know is that ASPEN+ is mostly used on chemical plant simulation while Hysys / Provision (former PRO-II) is mostly used for oil and gas plant simulation.

So the choice will depend on what type of process you want to simulate most.

By dynamic modeling, I meant batch distillation, drying, etc. - unit operations in which an important process variable is to change over time. Of course, you can also perform dynamic systems control as well.

Also - I meant to say electrolyte modeling - not electrodynamic modeling!! Oh well....maybe I will learn how to speak some day!

Hi DonyWane,

With dynamic modeling I meant exactly the same as you. These heat exchangers, distillation and evaporation systems are controlled by process computers and that's what I model in Simulink. So the combination of unit operations with the control system around it.

Cheers,
CARF

Hi
Thank you all for good respons:) I will use all the advise I got, and look into the different simulation models, and hopefully I will choose the right one:)
The main use of the simulation, is for the oil and gas plant.
Homayun..Do you mean that Pro II does not longer excist? The new sim model is called Provision??

Thanx again!!
Annie

Provision is basically same PRO-II but with visual interface like Aspen and Hysys. PRO-II is/was more like a MS-DOS application where each unit operation had a command and for each stream connection you had to program it. But they turned into a visual interface where you can drag a unit operation like a vessel, pump etc. and attach streams to it.

So they are basically the same, and you can actually forget about PRO-II.

Actually, PRO-II still exists and is sold under that name. ProVision is just the user interface, nothing more. One does not have to order this in addition, ProVision is provided only together with PRO-II, not as stand alone application (which would be useless as it doesn't include any calculation abilities, just as said above a graphical user interface).

hth,
chris

I use ProTreat (from Optimized Gas Treating, Inc) almost exclusively though sometimes double check with AMSIM. ProTreat I've found to be very accurate most of the time, which is handy since 75% of my job is to do simulations.

Ben Spooner, P. Eng
Process Engineer
Amine Experts Inc
Calgary, Alberta

Once difference between PRO II and HYSYS, the output data provided by HYSYS is more user friendly. Actually, HYSYS is more user friendly overall. I have dealt with 2 consultants who used PROII. They seem to have more confidence in it, however, reading the output to analyse it is murder. All the data is there but you have to read through a lot of stuff to find it. If you are working for an engineering firm I guess PROII may be better, otherwise, I would recommend HYSYS.
Keep in mind that you usually have to pay for extras in HYSYS e.g. Amine treating, batch processing, Dynamic analysis etc. Also, rigorous analysis of heat transfer equipment will require separate software which can utilize the HYSYS property models, ditto for complex pipe networks.
I don't have the experience with the cheaper packages out there (e.g. WINSIM, CHEMCAD) but though they have been used by some companies, most of the big players standardize on HYSYS or PROII.
Hope this helps

Good point, I should have made it clear that AMSIM is the add on amine package for HYSYS. It has several handy features such as pre-built plant models and liquid/liquid simulation capability.

After using several simulators (T-Sweet, HYSYS, ProTreat) extensively I have found my preference to be ProTreat for the most part.

Ben Spooner, P. Eng
Process Engineer
Amine Experts Inc
Calgary, Alberta

From my expenience working with engineering contractors, usually the client (particularly if it is a major oil and gas company) will specify the process simulation package to use. They want you to use the one that they use. This way it is easy for them to check/verify the work that you are doing. So -- check with some of your potential clients.

Whe you have done something before is easy to say that it is easy..

Write a matrix with the most relevant aspect for you and your colleagues (including your boss) and evaluate each topic in each simulator. You can ask to the two companies (Aspen, Simsci) for a two moth trial licensee and get a better approach of each one the most popular simulator.

If you need more detail please send a letter to cperezg@telcel.net.ve

I am a process engineer new to North America ( Canada ) and HYSYS, PRO-II, and ASPEN+ are new to me.
I guess I can not be exposed to these process simulators until I get the relevant employment. Is there any place in Toronto area where I can familiarize myself with these soft wares ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back