Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a small TIG/Stick welder for Aluminum & Stainless-steel 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clambone

Marine/Ocean
Apr 20, 2002
US
I am looking to buy a small Tig/stick welder to use on an aluminum sailboat that will be going to remote parts of the world. I want to be able to weld aluminum up to about 8mm (5/16") and 316 or 304 stainless steel up to about 3mm (5/32") but often both materials would be thinner. For thicker steel and stainless I can always use the stick but its the thin stuff that will be tricky. The generator can put out 8kw @120v 60hz 33A, 8kw@240 60hz 33A or 6kw @240 50hz 25A. Shore power will be available but sporadically and I should size it to run off the generator.

Mig would be OK if it wasn't for the thin aluminum and I like the finish on Tig stainless too..

Also I imagine for the aluminum it will need to have continuous HF on AC/DC; would that have any detrimental effects on other electronic gear (GPS, laptop, Radar etc) ?

All advice much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would imagine on a boat, size would be one of the keys. Have you looked at the tiny inverter tig/stick units such as the Miller Maxstar 140STR, or similar units made by others?

Yes, I have looked online now at the inverter technology out there and it seems the way to go especially for weight. Problem seems to be the HF needed for aluminum is not always available on the cheaper machines. The Lincoln Invertec 205 T looks as though it might do the job though and I would be interested to hear anyones opinion of that or other similarly priced TIG inverters. cheers Clambone

Hi Clambone,
Go ahead with your instincts about the Linoln.It's generator friendly and a little beauty to work with!As for your concern about the laptop and other gubbins,my advice would be not to weld beside any of them and use surge protectors where you can.
Cheers TW Weld.

I would imagine, if you are concerned, you could turn off the computer, put the radar in standby or off and let the GPS run on its internal battery while welding. I don't think you'd be doing a repair in the middle of a shipping lane or a major storm. (Its hard enough to do a good weld when the object is stationary!)

Blacksmith

My main concern is of the boats electrical systems, boats with onboard generators have two independent electrical systems, an AC system and a DC system these systems are desinged independent of one another in theory only, the major problems are grounding issues, the ground shoes depending on size and material are only designed for a certain amount of current, exceed that and you risk setting up a major (and immediate) galvanic corrosion process especialy with an aluminum hull. The other issue is welding with AC HF which is required for most aluminum welding, you risk induding an AC voltage into your DC system through the ground.Since we have not completed investigating all the potential issues as of yet as a rule and for liability purposes we do not do any welding on customers boats while in the water, also it's our practice to disconnect the batteries from the system before proceeding and have not had any problems.I can recommend contacting the ABYC (american boat and yacht counsel) which sets standards and pratices for construction, and repair procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back