Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a WWTP technology for an Industrial Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrLewinstein

Civil/Environmental
Jun 16, 2010
US
I'm working on a feasibility study for a WWTP for an industrial park at 0.5 mgd. Any input on a good technology for taking on various industrial wastes. Stream discharge. Effluent limits 5BOD, 5 TSS, 0.5 summer ammonia, 0.5 TP.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you say, "industrial park", I assume you mean a variety of manufacturing and/or processing activities are conducted in the complex. Sometimes the label industrial park is just a generic phrase for essentially a business park - which is a whole different game.

You will need a comprehensive influent sampling program before you even get started - not just a few grab samples. Also, be sure to examine the types of chemicals that are being used in the industrial park. Industrial wastes cannot be easily defined like domestic sewage. In some cases it may be more efficient to find alternative methods of disposing of some nasty, hard to treat, chemical wastes at the source. Pretreatment may also be an option. In so far as possible, you want to reduce the array of exotic chemicals that are introduced into the waste stream.

Most likely you will be looking at physical and chemical treatment methods designed to strip out pollutants introduced into the waste stream. Chemical coagulation and flocculation plus filtration will likely be part of the treatment process. Biological treatment methods will only work if you have a significant amount of organic wastes; otherwise you may be looking at chemical oxidation to meet your effluent limits.

Again, the key is to fully understand the character of the waste stream - only then can you set about proposing treatment schemes.

Ben, thanks for the reply. We would require industries to pretreat to more or less domestic wastewater concentrations of BOD, TSS, ammonia and metals. Also, the bulk of the wastewater will likely be the domestic wastewater from the workers at the park. Given those things, it still would seem good to have a treatment technology that would provide some versatility. I'm thinking that an SBR would be good, but wanted to see if there were other options that may be suitable. Would an oxidation ditch be a good alternative?

Thanks.

A good alternative is the vertical loop reactor. It is a derivative of the oxidation ditch. This would be one of the smaller oxidation ditches, but the oxidation ditch treatment scheme provides great flexibility

I am surprised your discharge standards don't include a little more exotic stuff - something that you might expect from an industrial park. Heavy metals jumps to mind. You got to figure some business is going to to be a car repair garage with solvents, grease and oil, and other chemicals from cars.

Many times in my career I have seen some ignorant worker roll a 50 gal. drum over to a floor drain and just dump the contents. Proper, Class 1 disposal is expensive and it is tempting to pour fluids down the drain.

If you are regarding the influent as domestic sewage, then an oxidation ditch will knock down the solids and BOD. You will still need some final polishing like chemical flocculation tank/ pressure sand filters to meet your discharge standards.

Just my gut feeling that someday, someone is going to take a grab sample of your effluent and find something exotic in the waste stream. I started my career working for a State water quality agency. Those inspectors have a pretty good eye for catching potential trouble spots.

If you are going to recommend conventional secondary treatment in your report then make sure you also recommend the park implement a strong source control program. At least it will cover your butt if there's a problem down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back